World Wide Fund for Nature Job Vacancies 2018 for Project Officer
World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF-Kenya) WWF-Kenya, is seeking to recruit a highly qualified and competent individual to fill the role below to support the implementation of the EU Green Horticulture at Lake Naivasha Basin Project (GOALAN):
To Be Based in Naivasha
Major Function: To support the implementation of sustainable green horticulture (vegetables and fruits) production within the framework of the GOALAN project supported by EU SWITCH Africa Green (Phase II) in the Naivasha Landscape, Kenya.
The key objectives of the project are two-fold: from one side it promotes the uptake of an integrated approach to support micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs), operating in the horticulture sector in the area, to shift towards sustainable production, with a particular focus on youth entrepreneurship.
Secondly, the GOALAN project supports a shift towards sustainable consumption by consumers, public institutions, retailers and hotels in Kenya.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Implement Green Horticulture Project activities in line with the project objectives and work plan;
- Prepare and present periodical updates, in the form of technical reports on the progresses of the implementation level of the various GOALAN project´s activities;
- Provide technical support on the field to project assistants and work closely with other project officers in the project implementation, monitoring and evaluation of activities;
- Closely collaborate with the project manager to prepare advocacy materials and engage with the relevant policy makers at the county and national level to foster the uptake of policies and strategies promoting sustainable horticulture production and procurement;
- Support the development of the GOALAN project’s communication plan; develop content and support the dissemination of information highlighting the progresses of the project including, blogs and fact sheets to promote both GAP and SCP principles in the region and at the national level, in Kenya;
- Identify and in consultations with the Project Manager, pursue strategic collaborations and partnerships with governments, civil society organizations, WWF stakeholders and professional bodies in order to advance Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) and Sustainable Consumption and Production (SCP) principles in line with WWF Kenya’s collaboration and partnership policy framework and strategy;
- Represent the project in stakeholder meetings related to the GOALAN project or when requested by the Project Manager;
- Ensure optimal management and safety of project assets and resources;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Qualification & Experience
- Minimum Master’s Degree in Agriculture, Horticulture, Agribusiness management or related field with 5 years of relevant working experience;
- At least 3 years of project management experience;
- Field experience in smallholder farmer agribusiness capacity development and in agricultural enterprise as well as sustainable value chain development;
- Track-record of project work in the field of horticulture agronomy, horticultural production, and well-rounded knowledge of the code of practice in Kenya, and understanding of the range of smallholder farming activities taking place in the county and at national level;
- Experience in participatory training methodologies;
- Experience in the organization of high-level meetings bringing together large groups to discuss technical issues;
- Experience in project monitoring, evaluation as well as proposal development will be an added advantage.
Key Skills & Competencies
- Good command on English and Kiswahili written and spoken;
- Good technical report writing and financial management skills;
- Excellent facilitation and communication skills (both oral and written); good inter-personal skills; demonstrable ability to innovate, be creative and solution-oriented;
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and with minimum supervision; Demonstrated willingness to learn and share;
- Leadership and people management skills – ability to oversee and work with external consultants/experts; excellent problem solving and conflict management skills;
- Ability to manage multiple project tasks;
- Strong IT skills: Microsoft Office Package; Online Meeting Tools;
- Ability to network and to develop and maintain strong relationships at all levels – in particular, within the private and public sector, to engage with CSOs and CBOs as well as other conservation organizations;
- Demonstrated ability for strategic thinking, conceptualization and planning of strategic initiatives within the context of conservation, natural resource management, international development, and/or other related fields;
- Adherence to WWF’s values, which are: Passionate & Optimistic, Challenging & Inspiring, Credible & Accountable, Persevering & Delivering Results.
Internal – interacts with Africa Rift Lakes Manager, the CEO, Heads of Department and programmes and staff on a regular basis, and may also interact with ROA, WWF International, and other WWF Network staff.
External – Interacts with programme partners, local, regional and national governmental institutions, non-governmental organisations, academic institutions, the media, donors, specialists/consultants, and other stakeholders.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should email a cover letter and CV with ‘Project Officer- Agribusiness’ on the subject line to the HR & Administration Manager, WWF-Kenya [email protected] not later 15th March 2018.
- EXPLORE MORE: