World Food Programme Job Vacancy 2019 for Senior Shipping Associate, Application Details
Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for World Food Programme Job Vacancy 2019 Interested applicant(s) ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
World Food Programme Job Vacancy 2019
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The World Food Programme Somalia activities include food assistance for relief, emergency school feeding, nutrition and food assistance for assets creation through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers.
This position is open to qualified Kenyan candidates. Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Logistics Officer and under the overall supervision of the Head of Logistics, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Tracking WFP shipments arrivals to Somalia and alerting area offices of expected arrivals and foreseen delays;
- Compilation of shipping report capturing status of arrivals and exports and circulating on weekly basis;
- Ensuring necessary shipping documents are shared with ports operations teams on time;
- Preparations of work orders, non-charge invoice and sharing with nominated service providers for stevedoring, customs clearance;
- Ensuring nominated service providers allocations are accordance with tariff system as defined in the Transport Manual;
- Monitoring performance of the nominated service providers, consolation with ports operations teams and compilation of performance evaluation reports upon end of contract;
- Participating in evaluation of potential and existing local WFP shipping agents;
- Maintaining single line of communications between Head Quarters and Area Offices about shipping for effective and efficient information flow;
- Analysis and recommendation on optimal discharge terms for chartered arrivals based on Partners options, port capacity and estimate context developments and provide timely and accurate feedback;
- Monitoring situation prior to vessels arrival and verifying its impact on the general output of given port operations;
- Ensuring up to date information on local maritime regulations, ports structure and administration, port tariffs, shipping line charges in each port to ensure smooth flow of shipments in Somalia;
- Review of superintendent reports and ensuring input to Head Quarter on their performance;
- Review /verification of port storage charges, demurrage and detention claims and maintain up to date records of vessels and port operations;
- Compile reports on quarterly basis for overview analysis;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
Experience: At least six years’ work experience in the field of Logistics shipping with at least 3 years’ experience in monitoring and managing shipping operations.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English is a requirement.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Demonstrated experience in monitoring and managing shipping operations;
- Preparing and managing budgets;
- Experience in preparing and executing contracts;
- Experience in working with and leading a team;
- Hands-on relevant experience in the UN or INGOs is desirable.
How to Apply
- EXPLORE MORE: