UNSOS Job Vacancies 2018 for Administrative Assistant NGO
This position is funded for an initial period of one year, extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred in order to take-up the appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
The position is located in Mombasa. The incumbent will report to Chief, Mombasa Support Base.
Duties and Responsibilities;
Within delegated authority, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
Human Resources Management:
- Performs various actions related to the administration of the work unit’s human resource activities, e.g., training. consistently applying UN rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Liaises with central administration/executive services as required;
- Maintains vacancy announcement files and updates track vacancy announcements;
- Provides advice and answers general queries on procedures and processes;
- Monitors assigned staffing tables for a variety of Human Resource activities, e.g., appointments, retirement, expiration of appointments, reassignments, transfer and movement of staff.
Budget and Finance:
- Provides assistance in the preparation and development of the office’s work programme and budget;
- Assists in monitoring the budget/work programme with respect to various budgets, trust funds, grant and other funds on a regular basis, and records reallocations of resources and implements the reallocations as necessary;
- Collects data from relevant databases and assist in preparation of financial reports;
- Provides assistance in the review, and preparation of the medium-term plan and its revisions;
- Reviews and assists in the finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements for the mission including programmatic aspects; monitors compliance with the medium-term plan and other legislative mandates;
- May assist managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions;
- Monitors budget implementation/expenditures and records reallocation of funds as necessary;
- Reviews requisitions for goods and services to confirm (a) that correct objects code of expenditure have been charged, and (b) availability of funds;
- Monitors extra-budgetary resources, in line with agreements and cost plans with special attention given to regulations and rules and established policies and procedures;
- Assists in the preparation of budget performance submissions;
- Assists in finalization of budget performance reports with attention given to variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
General Logistics Administration
- Provides guidance to mission and/or subordinate staff. I
- dentifies and reports issues/problems as they arise, and recommends appropriate actions; budget
- Coordinates regularly with service units and liaises as needed with internal team members both at the mission and in outstations;
- Performs other related administrative duties, as required (e.g., travel , monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services, reviews physical space plans and assists in the identification of office technology needs, maintenance of equipment, software and systems, organizes and coordinate seminars, conferences and translations).
- Process appropriate documents for cargo shipment.
- Receive materials and record in UMOJA.
- Raise notifications and reservations in UMOJA.
- Coordinate goods issuance and record all relevant documents.
- Coordinate and provide 3PL contractors with required documents for tasks execution
- Professionalism: Substantive experience/knowledge of the UN systems, staff rules and regulations as well as administrative policies and practices. Ability to manage processes, maintains accurate records, interpret/analyse a wide variety of data. . Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent is required. Technical training in Finance, Budget, Human Resources Management or Administration is highly desirable.
- Experience: A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, budget, accounting, audit, human resources or related area.
- Solid computer skills including proficiency in word processing and spreadsheets is required. Specific knowledge of the UN administrative electronic tools, such as Umoja or ERP is desirable.
- Must be familiar with function-related provisions of United Nations Rules, Regulations, Manuals and Policies. Experience working at a UN field mission or UN Agencies in this capacity is desirable.
- Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History form (P.11) to the address mentioned below quoting vacancy announcement number and functional title on the subject line on or before the deadline. The P.11 is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs. Applications submitted after the deadline February 1, 2018 will not be accepted. Curriculum Vitae (CV) will not be accepted. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training).
- EXPLORE MORE:
Share this post with your Friends: