Save the Children Vacancy 2018 for Child Health Technical Advisor, Application Details
Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for Save the Children Job Vacancy 2018Interested applicant(s) ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
Save the Children Job Vacancy 2018
Save the Children has been operational in Kenya since the 1950s, providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered both directly and through local partners. Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, health, HIV/AIDS, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH. In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined the programmes of SC UK, SC Canada and SC Finland to create a single operation in Kenya. In Feb 2014, we completed a second transition, which saw us join forces with the British INGO, Merlin, and merge their health and nutrition programmes with our own. Save the Children now has an operational presence in Bungoma, Dadaab Refugee Camp, Garissa, Mandera, Turkana and Wajir and a footprint in Kakamega, Kisumu, Migori and Kitui. In 2016, Save the Children established a new project office in Madagascar whose operations are managed by the Kenya CO. In total, we employ around 250 staff in both countries and had an operating annual budget in 2017 of approximately US$22million.
The Child Health Technical Advisor (CH TA) takes overall responsibility of Save the Children’s Pneumonia Centenary Commitments (PCC) activities. The CH TA will be seconded to the Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health Unit (NCAHU) at the Ministry of Health (MoH) 50% of the time to support the efforts for policy change to allow community health volunteers (CHVs) to use antibiotics at the community level, under the Integrated Community Case Management of Childhood Illness (iCCM) platform. S/he will also work with NCAHU and the larger Division of Family Health to develop and review child health policies, tools and strategies to improve access to child health interventions.
The remaining 50% level of effort will be to support the Country Office’s (CO’s) child health programme. This includes taking the lead and working with a consultant to conduct a situational analysis of pneumonia and child health in general in Kenya. The situational analysis is designed to equip the Ministry of Health, Save the Children and partners with the evidence needed to craft advocacy efforts that address child health challenges. This work identifies and analyzes the obstacles Kenya is encountering in preventing and treating pneumonia, diarrhea and other childhood illnesses.
The post holder will represent the project at national and county technical forums as requested and will liaise with the Save the Children members, MOH, other partners and stakeholders.
Contract Duration: 1 year
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Degree in medicine with a post graduate degree in public health/global health
- Knowledge of current global and regional public health debates in child health, immunization, nutrition and WASH
- Recommended a minimum of seven years of relevant technical experience including at senior level. Experience working within the devolved Kenyan health system is a must.
- Proven experience and skills in policy change, research and advocacy and influencing institutional, private and/or corporate donors and writing up high quality donor reports
- Experience of working with local/national governments and capacity building of systems, partners and staff
- Ability to extensively travel for project monitoring and provide on-site technical support to field teams
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international and matrix management environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written, required
- Commitment to Save the Children values
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Save the Children career website on stcuk.taleo.net to apply
- EXPLORE MORE:
Share this post with your Friends:
See more Post about: