Save the Children Job Vacancy 2018 for Regional Media Manager, Application Details
Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for Save the Children Job Vacancy 2018Interested applicant(s) ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
Save the Children Job Vacancy 2018
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
The Media Manager role is a key management position meant to ensure that quality and timely media are produced for news media organisations and other partners and to ensure visibility of Save the Children’s brand. A key part of this role is to secure international/regional media coverage and ensure Save the Children is positioned as a first responder to emergencies in the Horn of Africa, southern Africa and other emergency responses in the region.
The post holder is expected to demonstrate initiative and be a self-starter who will generate ideas and drive content forward, providing compelling case studies, images and video, as well as spotting strong news lines and writing engaging headlines. Central to achieving this is to oversee a media strategy to highlight the Emergency responses in the region and in developing situations.
The Media Manager will act as a key focal point for all media requests from members. When necessary, this post-holder may act as a Save the Children Spokesperson. This will be achieved by regular coordination and liaison with the Global Media Unit based in London.
In addition to the above, the post holder will also be expected to support RO/countries brand building in-country, namely through national and regional media. Fundamental to the job is the ability to gather, consolidate, analyse and share information in a way that is easily understood by news organisations, and other stakeholders.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya, but travel within the East and Southern Africa region will be part a regular part of the Media Manager’s responsibilities.
Qualifications and experience
- At least five years’ experience as a journalist in a credible news organisation OR equivalent experience as a Media & Communications Manager in an international humanitarian or development agency, and experience of dealing in the international media environment
- Significant experience of working overseas/regionally in humanitarian programmes
- Experience of leading media activities in a challenging environment
- Fluent in English, other languages desirable
- Evidence of excellent verbal and written communication skills producing materials for a wide range of different audiences including donors, journalists and the ‘general public’
- Experience of effective spokes personing across a range of media
- Experience designing and implementing trainings in communications and media skills
- Excellent writing skills, and the ability to produce compelling media products such as press releases, key messages/speaking points and Q&As
- Demonstrated ability to produce high-quality photography and video materials
- Familiarity with digital production workflows
- Knowledge of photography and video editing software
- Ability to digest complex information, quickly, and express this crisply and clearly
- Thorough understanding of the various political and cultural contexts surrounding of emergency responses and international development programming in East and Southern Africa
- Excellent relationship building skills in order to work for limited periods within programmes under pressure of running emergency responses
- An initiative-taking, proactive, inspiring attitude with the ability to manage and prioritise an unpredictable workload and solve problems quickly with limited support
- Experience of delivering training, presentations and other capacity-building activities to varied audiences, ideally within a country programme.
- Excellent IT skills, especially in Microsoft Word, as well as Adobe Creative Suite software
- Excellent understanding of media and campaigning activities
- Strong influencing skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances
- Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children. In particular, a good understanding of the Save the Children mandate and child focus, and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Prior experience working in humanitarian contexts
- Multi-media content development;
- Experience of delivering training, presentations and other capacity building activities to varied audience
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare,
education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Save the Children career website on stcuk.taleo.net to apply
- EXPLORE MORE:
Share this post with your Friends:
See more Post about: