Pwani University Job Vacancies 2018 for Library Assistant
Pwani University a Premier University at the Coast situated in the beautiful scenic tourist resort town of Kilifi is an equal opportunity employer. The University’s Mission is to generate, disseminate and apply knowledge while sustaining excellence in teaching, learning and research by molding students to international standards, encouraging and supporting members of staff to undertake research and to providing quality services to our customers. The University invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position of Head Cook Grade A.
- Appointment to this position is either on permanent and pensionable terms or on a two (2) year renewable performance based contract, depending on age, citizenship or any other reason.
- Applicants must have Diploma in Library and information Science/Studies, from a recognized University.
- Applicants must have at least three (3) years of library or related clerical experience in a large or busy library in an organization with proven integrity, honesty, independence, innovation and compliance to deadlines.
Skills and knowledge
- Good communication and teamwork skills
- Supervision skills
- Coordination and organization skills
- Relevant Computer Skills
- Problem solving skills
- Practical knowledge of ISO
In addition the applicants should show
- Active involvement in International/Continental/Regional /National/ Local/Community activities
- The officer will perform the following duties and responsibilities
- Assign work to library attendants and clerical staff.
- Establish priority of work tasks.
- Evaluate circulation operating procedures, and makes adjustments as needed to improve efficiency.
- Identify cataloging errors and refers books or materials to technical unit.
- Inspect damaged circulation materials, including books and equipment.
- Maintain circulation data and prepares regular statistical reports for the Librarian.
- Maintain performance and repair of circulation equipment.
- Oversee the enrollment of new patrons to the library.
- Participate in library special projects as required or as necessary.
- Participate in periodic evaluation of assigned employees.
- Participate in the development of operating policies and procedures.
- Participate through suggestions, in the near-term and long range planning of library services.
- Plan work according to library schedule or standard routine.
- Provide service and book and media collection information and advice to new and current patrons.
- Provide training exercises for circulation unit employees.
- Receive oral or written direction from Head Reference, Information and Research Services Section.
- Recommends equipment improvements.
- Report work accomplished to Head Reference, Information and Research Services Section.
- Responsible for appearance and order of collection.
- Review and resolves personnel problems within unit as possible.
- Supervise book reserve system.
- Supervise the circulation of the library collection of books and non-book materials.
- Supervises the receiving and recording of overdue fines.
- Participate in shelving and shelf reading exercise
- Muster skills of the automated circulation services tasks as needed
- Carryout other assigned relevant duties from time to time as need arises.
Terms Of Service
Benefits for the above position include a competitive basic salary, house allowance, medical cover for staff and dependants, life Insurance, opportunities for further development and training and other regular allowances.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send four (4) copies of their application for the position. Applications and recommendations letters from referees should be addressed to
The Vice Chancellor Pwani University P. O Box 195-80108, Kilifi
Applications should include an up to date CV, giving details of applicants age, marital status, academic and professional qualifications, work experience, present post and salary, email address, telephone, names and contacts of three referees who are knowledgeable about the competence of the applicant, copies of relevant certificates and testimonials.
Pwani University is an equal opportunity employer, female candidates and persons living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Persons living with Disabilities should attach a copy of their National Council for Persons with Disabilities (NCPWD) registration Card.
Applicants with foreign qualifications must submit a Certificate of Recognition from the Commission for University Education.
The deadline for submitting applications is Tuesday 27th February 2018. Applications received later than this date will not be considered.
- EXPLORE MORE:
- HOT: Latest MUSIC, VIDEOS, MOVIES & More