Practical Action Job Vacancy 2018 for Project Officer
Practical Action is an international non-governmental organisation (INGO) with 50 years of expertise in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We have a strong heritage and track record of bringing communities and experts together to find practical, sustainable solutions which work for both people and the planet; solutions that enable people to meet their needs and lead dignified lives. Technology features in everything we do. We partner with people whose lives are transformed by these efforts and ensure local ownership and solutions that work in the longer term, without us.
Practical Action Eastern Africa is looking for a qualified individual to fill the post of Project Officer – Water Engineer with the overall responsibility of designing and implementing water related engineering strategies that empower local communities to effectively manage and utilize their water resources while promoting appropriate hygiene and sanitation.
- Undertake WASH service needs assessment for people living in rural including ASALs, poor urban and peri-urban settlements (slums)
- Plan, design and implement appropriate low cost water (protected springs, shallow wells, solar powered bore holes, rainwater harvesting) and sanitation (VIP, leach pits, pour flush, septic tanks) systems/technologies targeting the needs of rural including ASALs, poor urban and peri- urban settlement dwellers
- Participate in the identification and mapping of water resources in Practical Action Project areas.
- Prepare and cost technical designs and specifications for WASH technologies
- Draw terms of references for and supervise contractors and consultants undertaking technical assignments for Practical Action
- Advise the programme on appropriate water and sanitation interventions, clearly providing spatial and temporal justifications e.g. with reference to existing facilities, villages, migration patterns for ASALs etc.
- Ensure delivery of project to time and budget avoiding both over- and underspends
- Build capacity of service users on operation, maintenance and sustainability of WASH facilities and services; in addition to strengthening and promoting local level water management institutions
- Work with Water Service Providers (WSPs), County Governments and Water Service Boards (WSBs) to expand the reach and coverage of water supply networks in underserved low income urban and peri-urban areas
- Engage in advocacy/ policy influencing for low cost WASH technologies and approaches at the County and National government levels
- Develop monitoring and documentation tools for successful WASH models and dissemination in workshops and conferences
- Support routine hydro-geological surveys and environmental impact assessments within the cluster area and follow-up to obtain requisite approvals from WRA, NEMA, Water boards etc
- Contribute to project planning, monitoring and reporting across WASH and DRR.
- Bachelor’s degree in Water Engineering or related discipline. Diploma holders with relevant experience may be considered.
- Specialised training in project management and/or community development is desirable
- At least four (4) years working experience in designing and implementing water and WASH projects.
- Good understanding of dryland environment and water resources
- Previous working experience in, and understanding of sanitation challenges in ASALs and Lake Basin
- Previous working experience with an international NGO will be an advantage.
How to Apply
If you are ready for an exciting challenge with an organisation whose mission and values are particularly relevant in these rapidly changing times, please forward your application, curriculum vitae and cover letter to: Practical Action, Eastern Africa Regional Office by email: [email protected] no later than 22nd March 2018 indicating the ‘Job Title’ in the subject line of the email. Your cover letter should outline why you feel this is the position for you and you are the right candidate. Please include the names and contact details of 3 referees in your CV.
You can download the detailed job description here: https://practicalaction.org/project-officer-water-engineer
- EXPLORE MORE:
- HOT: Latest MUSIC, VIDEOS, MOVIES & More