Oxfam International Job Vacancies 2018 for Regional Security Advisor
One person in three in the world lives in poverty. Oxfam is determined to change that world by mobilizing the power of people against poverty.
Around the world, Oxfam works to find practical, innovative ways for people to lift themselves out of poverty and thrive. We save lives and help rebuild livelihoods when crisis strikes.
And we campaign so that the voices of the poor influence the local and global decisions that affect them. In all we do, Oxfam works with partner organizations and alongside vulnerable women and men to end the injustices that cause poverty.
Background: The Horn, East & Central Africa Region (HECA) is one of the largest regions where Oxfam works. All ten (10) countries in the region are currently affected by natural and/or man-made humanitarian crises, and this is having an impact on Oxfam’s role in the region. In addition to country specific Oxfam strategies in each of the 10 countries for the period 2015-2019.
The key strategic priorities and objectives for this region include prevention and response to humanitarian crises; enabling women in HECA to claim their social, economic and political rights; supporting the development of civil society, and the improvement of accountable, democratic governance; supporting the improved resilience of those with vulnerable livelihoods to climate change, insecurity and other risks.
The Role: The Regional Security Advisor (RSA) will support the Security Lead in each country composing the HECA region (DRC, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Sudan, South Sudan, Burundi, Rwanda, Somalia and Uganda) in order to ensure that the country security strategy is developed, implemented, monitored and reviewed; consistent with Oxfam policies, standards and requirements.
This position is accountable to the Regional Humanitarian Programme Coordinator – Oxfam International Platform in HECA.
We are looking for a dynamic and credible leader with the following:
- A University degree in a relevant field;
- Proven track record and experience in the general security context in HECA and trends; as well as good understanding of the most volatile areas in the region;
- Demonstrated experience in security assessment, planning and implementation of procedures in the context of UN or NGO humanitarian operations;
- Relevant field working experience in volatile areas due to security and/or politics;
- Significant leadership, proven influencing and negotiating skills with internal and external audiences including in complex and stressful circumstances;
- Committed to Oxfam’s principles and a rights-based approach including an active commitment to putting women’s rights at heart of all we do as well as the rights of other marginalised people in all aspects of the organisation’s work;
- Demonstrable ability to advise and support field staff from distance and in a consultative manner;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, together with the capacity to remain calm under pressure and not lose sight of strategic priorities.;
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts;
- Willingness to travel at short notice, and often to difficult environments;
- Experience in assessing and advising on health and safety of work environments;
- Good written and oral communication skills in English (verbal & written);
- Working knowledge of French is desirable.
How to Apply
Please CLICK HERE to see the full job profile for more information and to start the online application process.
The closing date is 16 February, 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Oxfam International is an equal opportunities employer, committed to diversity within the workplace.
- EXPLORE MORE:
Share this post with your Friends: