Norwegian Refugee Council Job Vacancies 2018 for NRC Finance Assistant NGO
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 4000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Horn of Africa Programme to Kenya in 2006 and to Ethiopia in 2011. Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced populations.
The Regional Office is based in Nairobi, Kenya with offices and operations in Somalia (Puntland, Somaliland and Mogadishu), Kenya (Dadaab, Kakuma and Mandera ), Ethiopia (Addis Ababa, Dolo Ado, Shire,Gambella and Asosa), South Sudan (Juba, Awil, Alek and Aweril) and Yemen (Sa’naa and Aden).
The NRC Horn of Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme. NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007. NRC has WASH, Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counselling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in the refugee camps in Dadaab, Kakuma and Mandera.
NRC is seeking to recruit Finance Assistant. The Finance Assistant is responsible for day-to-day implementation of the financial functions/responsibilities in Mandera office.
The Finance Assistant report to the Head of Office – Mandera.
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Verify that all vouchers and supporting documents are according to standard set in the Financial Handbook, and enter them into the accounting system.
- Follow up on advances and refunds
- Prepare and arrange bank withdrawals and transfers and present for verification.
- Record all cash movements
- Maintain the filling system for all financial and accounting for approval
- Make approved payment
- Responsible for petty cash management and liquidation.
- Prepare monthly payroll on timely basis
- Facilitate payment of suppliers
- Conduct budget review and monthly bank reconciliation
- Conduct monthly budget review and update the project staff and HoO on spending progress.
- Develop detailed proposal budgets
- Ensure financial tools are adhered to by all staff
- Train programme staff on finance matters relevant for their work
- Ensure timesheets are submitted timely by staff.
- Train staff on anticorruption.
- Adhere to NRC financial policies and procedure on handbook.
- Ensure advances are settled in stipulated period
- Any other tasks as assigned by line manager.
- Diploma in Finance/Accounting. Bachelors degree preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), level 2
- Experience of at least 5 years’ working as Assistant in a humanitarian context
- Willing to camp in the field, ability to work flexibly including weekends and willingness to travel and work in rural locations and live in basic conditions.
- Accounting skills
- Book keeping
- Finance / Economics
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Good financial analysis skills
- Good knowledge of financial reporting systems
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to work well with people from diverse cultures and communicate effectively.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Good computer skills in MS Office.
- Duty station: Mandera
- Contract period is up to October 2018 with possibility of extension. Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Mandera.
How to Apply
- EXPLORE MORE:
Share this post with your Friends: