Ministry Of Energy Job Vacancies 2018 for Communication Specialist
JOB REF NO: KE-MOE-26861-CS-
The Kenya Off-grid solar access project for underserved counties (K-OSAP), financed by the World Bank and implemented by the Ministry of Energy (MOE), Kenya Power and Lighting Company (KPLC) and Rural Electrification Authority ( REA), aims at providing a comprehensive suite of investments to provide electricity services to households, enterprises and community facilities, boreholes, with pragmatic business models to attract private sector investment, sustainable services, know-how and efficiencies
The Project Implementing Agency, the MOE, has established a Project Coordination Unit (PCU) to focus and fully manage the day to day operation of the project. The PCU is to be staffed with highly qualified and experienced technical experts who will handle and manage the project implementation. As the project will require proper development and implementation of its communication strategy, the MoEP is desirous to recruit a competent Communication Specialist to work in the PCU.
Objective of the Assignment
The Communications Specialist is expected to work with the Project Coordinator, Project Coordination Unit and all the stakeholders of this project to design, produce and promote communication strategy and materials to raise awareness on and increase access to relevant information on Kenya Off-grid solar access project for underserved counties (K-OSAP).
- Communication Strategy
- Knowledge products (such as reports and infographics)
- Public communications (such as media releases, social media updates and web stories)
- Citizen engagement and key stakeholder engagement to ensure that households and communities understand the benefits of the project and have a buy in to the success of the project.
- Adequate messaging to ensure that any potential risks are adequately addressed before they evolve into a a crisis.
The duties and responsibilities of the Communications Specialist will include the following:
- Lead in the development and implementation of a communication strategy for the K-OSAP project;
- Provide technical advice to MOE and the implementing agencies on communication issues to enhance effectiveness in the communication of project’s activities;
- Establish and manage K-OSAP information sharing system including social media channels;Conduct a stakeholder analysis to map the key stakeholders required to drive the success of the project.
- Develop content including success and impact stories on K-OSAP project for uploading on MOE website
- Establish an effective system to develop messaging so as to respond to enquiries from the stakeholders in a timely manner;
- Guide MOE and K-OSAP project implementing agencies’ staff on information collection, processing, and dissemination methods;
- Play a leading role in external relations, building relations with media personnel, liaison and public relations;
- Support capacity building of implementing agencies’ staff on report writing, editing, and presentation skills;
- Keep track and effectively communicate the project implementation status, results and its impacts;
- Monitor and collate media content that (including social media) mentions of the project and share; and
- Any other duties assigned by the Project Coordinator.
The Communication Specialist will be based at the Project Coordination Unit (PCU) in MOE offices in, Nairobi, and will be expected to work amicably with the communications department at MOE and the other implementing agencies.
The consultant will also be called upon to attend and support stakeholder engagement forums.
Time frame and Reporting
The expected duration of the consultancy is One (1) year, with possibility of contract extension subject to satisfactory performance. The assignment is expected to commence in March, 2018. The consultant will report to the K-OSAP Project Coordinator at the Ministry of Energy and work closely with the PCU.
The Communication Specialist will be required to submit reports as follows:
- One copy of monthly progress reports highlighting both challenges and achievements;
- One copy of quarterly progress on activities undertaken and solutions to challenges;
- One copy of annual progress reports; and
- One copy of project completion report after the completion of the Project.
Qualifications and Experience
- Be in possession of a Master’s Degree in Communications, in particular development communications, Public Relations, Journalism or any other relevant qualification
- A minimum of 8 years hands-on experience in Development Communications, Corporate Communications, Public Relations, Business Communications or Journalism; preferably with experience on donor funded projects.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and communication skills suitable for collaborating with multiple stakeholders
- Strong networking capabilities.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with traditional, digital and emerging communications platforms. Social media experience essential
- Demonstrated capacity in all aspects of communications – from strategy to design, production and management
The consultant selection will follow the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for Investment Projects Financing (IPF) Borrowers for Individual Consultants.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified persons are requested to make their applications as follows:
Submit their applications in person to 23rd Floor, Nyayo House, (Office of the Principal Secretary/ Energy) or send to the address shown below clearly stating the reference Number in the letter on the envelope by close of business on 3rd March, 2018 at 4.30pm
Applications should include detailed CVs indicating day time contacts, current and expected salary, names and contacts of three referees. Copies of all relevant Certificates/Testimonials and copy of national ID/ Passport must be attached.
The Ministry of Energy, avails equal employment opportunities to all Kenyans. Women, persons living with disabilities, the marginalized and minorities are encouraged to apply. Any form of canvassing shall lead to automatic disqualification. Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
Completed applications should be submitted to:
The Principal Secretary,
Ministry of Energy
P.O. Box 30582- 00100, Nairobi, Kenya
Attn: Director, HRM
- EXPLORE MORE:
Share this post with your Friends: