Mercy Corps Job Vacancy 2018 for Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer, Application Details
Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for Mercy Corps Job Vacancy 2018 Interested applicant(s) ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
Mercy Corps Job Vacancy 2018
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps began working in Kenya in 2008 to address the societal wounds following the 2007 post-election violence. Since that time, Mercy Corps has built a robust and diverse portfolio in Kenya that is working to address structural causes of poverty and injustice and to strengthen systems that enable men, women and children to access opportunities, participate in and contribute to peaceful democratic processes, and thrive in the face of ecological and social change. To do this, we deliver integrated programming to strengthen market and governance systems, address the root causes of conflict, and equip vulnerable populations- in particular youth, women, adolescents and marginalized communities- with the skills, opportunities and resources they need to be healthy, productive and to drive the development of their communities. We work closely with the private sector, civil society and governance structures at local and national levels to facilitate change and ensure that opportunities are inclusive of all Kenyans.
Youth Impact Labs is a partnership between Mercy Corps and Google.org launched in 2017 to catalyze the creation of new work opportunities for young people by leveraging technology. Impact Labs operates from Amman and Nairobi as strategic regional hubs for the Middle East and East Africa. Impact Labs aims to think big, take risks, and test bold solutions by approaching underemployment and unemployment through a business-oriented innovation lens. We seek to build a strong regional pipeline of innovators ready to create high- impact, scalable employment opportunities across various markets – for today’s youth and generations to come. We are focusing on digital marketplaces and platforms that offer services to micro and small businesses; agricultural supply chain management; and digital work.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Officer will work with the Mercy Corps program team as well as our local partner organizations to ensure the collection of quality M&E data for the program. The MEL Officer will be responsible for supporting the Impact Labs program with monitoring and data collection, lead in design of surveys, analyze data to provide insight to program team and contribute to report writing. S/he will ensure that performance monitoring and results reporting tools and processes across the entire program are in place, effectively implemented and well synchronized between the two program sites. The MEL Officer will be an integral member of the program team’s learning, reflection processes, and promoting accountability to beneficiaries and the donor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- MONITORING AND EVALUATION
- Lead in the design/review of MEL system for partners involved in the implementation of the program
- Develop metrics for measurement of results for partners using the DCED framework.
- Develop a system for reporting and validating program data (Excel, Tola, Access, etc.)
- Work closely with the program teams and local partners, to ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and reporting of program activities and results.
- Develop and deploy tools for data collection using mobile technology especially ONA and Google Forms.
- Coordinate reporting with local partners, specifically tracking deadlines, ensuring adherence to monitoring formats and requirements, ensuring reporting quality and accuracy, and periodic report writing, editing, and submission.
- Compile progress against indicators and report back to the team according to the monitoring plan.
- Develop Data Quality Assessment Plan.
- Perform spot checks on the team’s data collected and reports each month.
- Actively participate in any additional evaluation M&E activities including but not limited to baseline surveys, mid-term, end line surveys, evaluations, households’ surveys
- PROGRAM SUPPORT
- Build the capacity of all relevant team members to implement program monitoring tools, accurately enter program data into relevant databases, and enable them to develop excellent reports and other documents.
- Build the capacity of our local partner organizations through ongoing training and support on: monitoring tools, entering program data into databases, the development of reports and other documents.
- Document lessons learned and success stories on the project.
- Ensure adherence to program management minimum standards in carrying out his/her duties, advising and supporting other staff in the same as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- RESEARCH AND LEARNING
- Contribute to learning/research agenda.
- Conduct research and prepare practical reports for dissemination based on experiences from program implementation.
- Together with the program implementation team, generate key learnings about the program’s implementation, approach, and interaction with the tech-enabled youth employment ecosystem.
- Package and disseminate research finds/learnings to Mercy Corps and other program stakeholders.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly to: Post Investment and Learning Advisor with a dotted line to Senior Roving MEL Officer
Works Directly with: Impact Labs Program Team, Senior Roving MEL Officer, Program Quality and Learning Manager and Implementing Partners.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S or equivalent, preferable in Monitoring and Evaluation, Business administration, Economics, Statistics, Population Studies, Demography or Development studies.
- 3 – 4 years’ program monitoring and evaluation experience.
- Must have good writing, analytical and communication skills.
- Previous experience working with on donor funded programs is preferred.
- Relevant experience in field survey/data collection (qualitative and quantitative) techniques, data entry, data verification, and analysis.
- Good understanding and skills at database management with specific emphasis on beneficiary tracking.
- Experience designing and implementing surveys.
- Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of MS Office applications. In addition to Microsoft Excel, the incumbent should demonstrate fluency in use of at least one data management software including Ms Access, SPSS, STATA.
- Experience in youth employment programming will be an added advantage
A successful team member will be conscientious, with excellent judgement, capable of multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem-solving and attention to detail with strategic vision. S/he must have the confidence, and humility, to work effectively with a large variety of people who will be diverse culturally, economically and in social status. S/he must be sensitive to political and cultural nuances and be able to consistently apply excellent judgment to a variety of demanding and fast-changing situations.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a Cover Letter and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references (including a recent supervisor) to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 12th October, 2018.
The email subject line must clearly show the job title.
Applications without an appropriate subject heading will be automatically disqualified.
Please do not attach any certificates.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NB: We do not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process
- EXPLORE MORE:
Share this post with your Friends:
See more Post about: