Komaza Job Vacancies 2018 for Farmer Design Associate
Who We Are
Komaza is revolutionizing African forestry by unlocking the potential for small-scale farmers to serve booming wood markets. Headquartered in coastal Kenya, we have planted over 2.5 million trees with more than 8,500 farmers, making us Kenya’s largest commercial tree planter. By leveraging farmers’ contribution of land and labor, Komaza can access effectively limitless land and establish a hectare of trees for far less than big plantations – a powerful disruption to the traditional forestry model. We have been recognized with numerous awards and investments, including Forbes, Ashoka, Mulago Foundation, and Novastar Ventures.
About the Team
The Komaza Farmer Relations team within the Field Operations Department is a research, innovation, and design center devoted to our farmer-facing activities. From farmer enrollment to farmer payments, we leverage ethnography, interviews, human centered design, and focus groups to listen to farmers’ wants and needs, then develop the materials and communications plan to help them understand what to expect from our partnership.
About the Role
As a Komaza Farmer Design Associate, you’ll travel across our field areas in Coastal Kenya to learn from the communities we work with. You will work with multidisciplinary teams and use research findings to inform and inspire strategic decisions and design operational systems. You’ll translate research insights into SOPs, trainings, tools, communication materials, and practical field tactics.
You love observing people to uncover their deep needs and values. You have equal facility interviewing farmers to understand what their lives are about and interacting with staff to help them better articulate their challenges. You have a curious mind and naturally make connections between diverse populations and industries. You draw upon both qualitative and quantitative data to inform decision making. You can translate that range of data and ‘blue sky’ ideas into concrete SOPs, trainings, project plans, data tools, and similar deliverables.
What You Will Do
- Build and lead cross-departmental design and execution teams
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative primary research to better tailor our system to serve our farmers
- Spend long, exciting and exhausting hours traveling around our field areas via public transportation and meeting with farmers in rural (hot!) environments
- Lead synthesis of data into key insights and opportunity areas, then building scalable business systems
- Take an iterative approach to prototyping and testing new services and communication materials in partnership with other teams
What You Will Have
- Undergraduate degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- A drive for empathy and a passion for understanding people, and experience with user research/fieldwork
- Experience as a qualitative researcher who is familiar with a variety of methodologies including conducting 1:1 interviews, moderating group conversations, running live prototype sessions, or engaging with users remotely
- Experience with quantitative research and a genuine passion for data, and you either designed surveys or analyzed data; experience using SPSS (or similar software) and running segmentation studies is a plus
- 2-5 years experience at startups, consulting or other professional services firms
- Deep interest and experience conducting ethnography with rural populations
- Comfort designing in an ambiguous work environment
- Passion for Komaza’s mission to lift rural farmers out of poverty through the rapid scaling of our microforestry model
- Familiarity and experience with the communities where we plant; you have lived or worked in rural low-income communities
- Strong organisational, critical thinking, and communications skills with impeccable spoken and written English
- Flexible with the drive to do whatever necessary to get the job done
- Self-directed and intellectually curious – you know how and when to seek feedback in the pursuit of continuous improvement
- Growth-obsessed with a strong desire for personal development
- A collaborative problem solver who seeks the opinions of other teammates and departments in the development of creative and sustainable systems
What We Expect
You are a good fit for Komaza if you want to make a meaningful commitment to this role for a minimum of 2 years. This role is based at our headquarters in Kilifi, Kenya. The role offers competitive salary and benefits with potential for further career growth.
How to Apply
- EXPLORE MORE:
Share this post with your Friends: