Kenya Lwala Community Alliance Job Vacancy 2018 for Finance Director, Application Details
Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for Kenya Lwala Community Alliance Job Vacancy 2018 Interested applicant(s) ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
Table of Contents
Kenya Lwala Community Alliance Job Vacancy 2018
Lwala Community Alliance (Lwala) is a community-led innovator with over 10 years of experience implementing holistic programs in rural Western Kenya. Lwala works by placing communities at the forefront of the design, implementation and evaluation of their own solutions to the multi-dimensional causes of poverty.
We aim for these bottom-up innovations to improve the health, education, and economic outcomes for the communities who create them, ultimately driving contextualized and sustainable systems-change.
Our programs are centered around Lwala Community Hospital treating nearly 50,000 patients per year. Based on community demand and bottom-up program design, we develop public health, education and economic initiatives that provide integrated services. Founded by Kenyans, Lwala’s team now has 85 staff members and engages over 200 community health workers.
We have leveraged this bottom-up, multidimensional approach in an all-out effort to drastically reduce maternal and child mortality! We are tackling the key drivers of deaths – gender inequity, barriers to education, poverty, unplanned pregnancies, unskilled deliveries, and delayed treatment of childhood illnesses.
We are on a 5-year strategic initiative to scaling our community-lead health model to reach 1,000,000 people by 2020.
Have a look at our 10 year impact report and watch our video!
About the role:
We are rapidly scaling and taking our programs to new areas. Strong financial systems are important to support our growth. Building on our successes of solid accounting practices, we are looking for an experienced finance professional with an entrepreneurial mindset and strong attention to detail to take the department to the next level.
The position is responsible for overall financial management in Kenya & US ensuring effective strategic and operational financial planning, monitoring, and reporting that enhance use of data for decision making; compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements in Kenya and the US; and effective grant management and donor reporting.
Finance Director Job Responsibilities
Overall Financial Management and Leadership
- Continuously improve, develop and enforce policies, procedures, structures and systems that provide for consistency, integrity, professional standards, accountability, transparency and legal requirements.
- Closely support the directors in leading the organization in the growth phase from a finance standpoint, help increase long-term financial visibility by being a strategic and data-driven partner.
- Oversee accounting, bookkeeping, and the hospital’s cash office.
- On a monthly basis, update the finance workbook with actuals and updated projections, and provide adequate information for board finance committee decision making.
- Supervise and manage the finance team, with a focus on talent development and retention.
- Stay up to date with developments in the finance space and incorporate best practices at all times.
- Effectively manage cashflow and advise fundraising team regularly.
Oversee grant management and ensuring program outcomes more clearly link with finances
- Spearhead the development, implementation and periodic review of operations plans, management plans, budgets, work plans and activity schedules that support effective program delivery.
- Track restricted funds and monitor donor fund balances to ensure program teams are up to date with their financial situation and to ascertain prudent and compliant management of grants and funds received from donors and partners.
- Supervise all aspects of the organization’s accounting and financial management and ensure that use of organizational resources directly contribute to program outcomes.
- Build on current efforts to include program teams in financial planning and tracking.
- Help develop donor budgets for new proposals following proposal guidelines and templates
- Support Impact Director in driving the organization towards scientific and proven methods for calculating unit costs such as value for money for service delivery and maintaining lowest cost per unit of service among our comparators.
- Facilitate the development and implementation of finance standard operating procedures for all program areas and activities.
- Put in place measures to track incomes and revenues more accurately.
Financial reporting, compliance and risk management
- Consolidate Kenya and US finances monthly to inform global analysis and reporting.
- Ensure timely preparation and submission of periodic financial reports, management reports and donor reports.
- Ensure all statutory requirements of the NGO board, IRS, KRA and other organs are met.
- Plan and oversee annual and project audits in Kenya and the US, ensure timely responses to audit queries and issues.
- Ensure that the organization’s assets and other resources are safeguarded against financial loss through fraud and error by maintaining sound internal controls systems
- Conduct organizational risk assessments and plan for mitigation of risk.
Requirements for the Finance Director Job
- You have at least 7 years of total work experience, with progressive individual responsibility in the finance area.
- Previous experience as a finance manager/leader in a busy medium-sized organization at a point of strong growth.
- You have strong understanding of financial planning, management and reporting in a non-profit and grant environment.
- Proven ability to build and improve processes and systems in the finance area to increase efficiency.
- You are conversant with restricted and unrestricted funding and have been exposed to the varying requirements of a wide range of donors and tracking of the same.
- Your attention to detail is impeccable.
- Strategic thinking skills relating to mid- and long-term organizational growth.
- You are able to spearhead the use of data in decision making.
- You have strong integrity and are able to instil and maintain high ethical standards across an organization.
- You are self-directing, anticipate issues and are organized around meeting your short and long-term goals.
- You are a good cross-cultural communicator and flexible to work across different timezones.
- You ask for help and support and know how to pull in experts where needed to achieve your goals.
- You are tech savvy and easily accommodate innovation in your work, eg mobile money and internet banking.
- Ability to fluidly operate on a wide range of responsibilities, from overseeing the finance team in their daily tasks to strategically advising the organization.
- You are excited about rural development and contributing to it by enhancing skills in the organization. You know how to build and inspire finance skills in non-finance staff.
- Excellent knowledge of accounting principles and strong hands-on experience using accounting systems (QuickBooks required, Navision or others helpful etc) and payroll processing packages.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills for financial analysis and using advanced formulas.
- Finance or related degree required, Masters an added advantage.
- You hold CPA (K) or ACCA and are a member of a recognized professional accounting body such as ICPAK.
You have the cultural fit to join our team if
- You proactively initiate action when you see a problem, regardless of whether it is “your job” or not. You are self-driven and enjoy working with minimal supervision.
- You have genuine passion, love and respect for the people we serve.
- You have clear communication and can work with people from diverse cultures.
- You believe that change is possible through collaboration and consultation rather than hierarchies and using power.
Why work with us?
- Be part of a sterling organization with proven impact and global award-winning stars
- Contribute to change as we scale community led health model across Western Kenya
- Lwala has a very collegiate and amiable working environment
- Join a passionate team with high ethical standards and personal integrity
- We offer a welfare package relevant to Migori’s realities: Medical treatment at Lwala Community Hospital, reimbursable medical referral scheme, pension scheme, Group Personal Accident/WIBA cover, staff meals (tea and lunch) and possibly housing
The role is based in our main office next to the hospital in a rural village in Migori County.
We are around 12 km from Rongo where most of our team lives.
We are looking for someone who is excited about living and working in a rural setup for a minimum of 2-3 years.
We will arrange a probation period with learning and performance objectives.
Due to the nature of work working hours might extend on some days but with flexibility.
How to Apply
First, please have a look at this guide on how to submit your application and tips on our selection process: http://bit.ly/CandidatesGuide
Fill out the application form under http://bit.ly/JoinLwalaFinance
You will upload your CV in PDF format as part of the application. Make sure it is relevant to this role and not more than 3 pages.
Selection process in collaboration with edge
- EXPLORE MORE:
Share this post with your Friends:
See more Post about: