Jacaranda Health Recruitment 2018 for Nurse Mentor & Educator, Application Details
Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for Jacaranda Health Recruitment 2018. Interested applicant(s) ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
Table of Contents
Jacaranda Health Recruitment 2018
Jacaranda Health is a social venture that aims to set a new standard for maternity care in East Africa. We are combining business and clinical innovations to provide affordable maternity and reproductive health services to low-income urban women. We have an 18 bed hospital in peri- urban Nairobi. We strive to be a data-driven company which improves its operational efficiency through informed decision making on the costs and pricing mechanisms in the healthcare market. Please visit www.jacarandahealth.org for more details.
In 2017, Jacaranda Health partnered with 9 hospitals in Kiambu County to strengthen Emergency Obstetric and Newborn Care (EmONC) knowledge and skills amongst nurses via a mentorship model. Nurse mentors were embedded in 2-3 facilities for a period of 10 months during which they lead continuous medical education (CME) sessions, one-on-one mentorship, skills trainings, and simulation drills for emergencies. In 2018, we are looking for full-time nurse mentors to work with the county health system in Bungoma County, Kenya.
We plan to partner with county health administrators to develop a model of mentorship for Bungoma. We expect that it will involve being the mentor being embedded in a Level 4 referral facility in the county and making mentorship visits regularly to Level 2 and Level 3 facilities. Mentors will participate in a mini-residency program at Jacaranda’s Maternity Hospital in Kahawa West for 2-3 weeks before initiation of the program. Mentors will be responsible for tracking of data within established monitoring systems, including using mobile tools to debrief deliveries and drills. By the end of the program, we anticipate training over 200 health providers and equipping them with life-saving EmONC skills.
Participating nurses at 20 facilities score >85% in key obstetric skills – 50% of public facility births in 2 counties are attended by a Program-trained nurse mentor – Transition of program to county ownership and management
The position is responsible for providing leadership for professional development and of programs and support services that enhance the theoretical knowledge and clinical practice of the nursing/midwifery workforce, especially EmONC. This includes the planning and development of education and training programs that complement the development and review of policy and procedures with a strong focus on evidenced-based practice. The incumbent will be accountable for the development, coordination and evaluation of consistent clinical practice, policies, protocols and procedures that are competency based.
Nurse Mentor & Educator Job Responsibilities
- Works as a self-driven individual who is passionate about maternal health Fulfills all mentorship duties in timely manner
- Performs nursing practice by providing direct patient care.
- Provides leadership in the development, implementation, and evaluation of standards of practice in facilities where mentorship is taking place
- Actively pursues role as clinical educator within facilities through CMEs, drills, and other methods of learning
- Willingly engages in Quality Improvement initiatives and trainings when applicable, facilitating meetings and tracking data outcomes
- Actively participates in performance improvement programs to identify learning needs of the staff
- Maintains practice excellence by utilizing practice opportunities for own professional growth and attending educational activities
- Contributes to ongoing staff performance evaluations and to direct staff toward achieving optimum professional development
- Maintains the highest standards of professionalism and represents Jacaranda as an organization dedicated to ending maternal/neonatal deaths and morbidities
Requirements for the Nurse Mentor & Educator Job
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing or its equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years midwifery experience
- Strong Knowledge of EmONC principles and experience handling emergencies
- Proficient in PC based computer skills including Excel and PowerPoint, as well as proficient in using WhatsApp
- Comfort working within a team of passionate nurses, in unfamiliar / low-resource settings, and mentoring alone
- Experience in collecting data for monitoring or research purposes
- Demonstrated experience in a nursing leadership role involving change management, motivational and team development skills together with the ability to apply complex problem solving strategies.
- Confidence in one’s work as well as empathy to various learning styles and personalities
- Demonstrated ability to develop, coordinate, deliver and evaluate education and training programs that incorporate contemporary adult learning principles.
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development and the capacity to apply knowledge and skills to develop innovative improvement strategies.
- Demonstrated high level written and verbal communication skills including reports and advice for key internal and external partners.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage one’s own responsibilities within required timeframes and to provide advice on project impacts and outcomes.
- Local language skills in Bungoma County or deep knowledge of community a plus
This position is expected to be a contract of 9 months, based in Bungoma County.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their application cover letters and CVs to [email protected] with the subject line Nursing Education & Professional Development Manager
Deadline: July 6, 2018
- EXPLORE MORE:
Share this post with your Friends:
See more Post about: