International Livestock Research Institute NGO Job Vacancies 2018 for Research Assistant Data Systems
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Assistant Data Systems to develop data management systems and tools for use in projects of the ILRI Livestock genetics team.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world.
Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa.
- Contribute to the development of data management systems and tools for use in projects of the ILRI Livestock genetics team, notably the ADGG project
- Write procedures and software to extract and prepare data for analysis and produce routine summaries of data
- Program field survey instruments (handheld PDA, mobile phones and/or netbooks) and train field teams on their use
- Implement and monitor quality assurance protocols and routines, data flow and integrity, including remote back-up of databases
- Contribute to the overall work of the livestock genetics team, this may include: database design for specific projects
- BA/BSc degree in Information Systems, Database Management, Computer Science or related discipline.
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience working with relational databases for complex datasets and relational database servers e.g., MySQL, MS SQL Server or Oracle.
- At least 2 years of experience in software development.
- Experience of SQL language for data extraction and management of databases.
- Knowledge and experience of C++ is an added advantage.
- Knowledge and experience of Linux operative system is an advantage.
- Experience in the design and development of applications for mobile devices (e.g., PDAs, Android) is desirable.
- Experience in simple data analysis and report writing preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of python and/or R with evidence of significant projects using these tools
- Experience of developing interactive, database-driven web tools
- Understanding and experience of working in applied agricultural research preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and good personal organisation skills.
- Good communication ability in English, spoken and written.
- Good judgement and willingness to take initiative when appropriate.
Terms of Appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus. It is open to Kenyan nationals only. The position is on a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
Job Level: This position is at job level 2C, level 2 and open to Kenyan nationals only. ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
How to Apply
Applicants should CLICK HERE to send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development before 16 March 2018. The position title and reference number REF: RA/02/2018 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.