International Livestock Research Institute Job Vacancy 2018 for Head of Information and Communications and Technology, Application Details
Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for International Livestock Research Institute Job Vacancy 2018 Interested applicant(s) ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
Table of Contents
International Livestock Research Institute Job Vacancy 2018
- Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
- Position level: The position level is 5A
- Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to enhance the roles livestock play in pathways out of poverty in developing countries. ILRI is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a global research partnership of 15 centres working with many partners for a food-secure future. ILRI has two main campuses in East Africa and other hubs in East, West and southern Africa and South, Southeast and East Asia.
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) and The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) seek to recruit Head of Information and Communication and Technology (HoICT) to provide leadership and direction in ensuring a robust and secure ICT environment delivering advanced digital ICT capabilities for the achievement of international agricultural research and development goals of both ICRAF and ILRI.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) is an independent research institution which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. As part of the Centre’s work to bring tree-based solutions to bear on poverty and environmental problems, researchers – working in close collaboration with partners – are developing new technologies, tools and policy recommendations for increased food security and ecosystem health. http://www.worldagroforestry.org/
The Centres headquarters are located in Nairobi, Kenya, and research is conducted in 31 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and receive funding from over 50 different donors. CGIAR is a global agricultural research partnership for a food-secure future. It’s science is carried out by 15 research centres that are members of the CGIAR Consortium in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations. www.cgiar.org
Reporting to the Directors of Corporate Services of both Centres, this position leads the overall ICT Shared Service function for ILRI and ICRAF, to accomplish the ICT visions of both Centres. The campus level services are provided in two locations in Nairobi, Kenya and one location in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, with staff of both Centres supported in offices in over 50 different countries.
The HoICT is accountable for the integration of IT processes across multiple global functional areas. It oversees IT services provided to a global audience across offices and regions and is responsible for project management of ERP implementation and support.
Key Duties And Responsibilities
- Strategic Leadership
- Proactively establishes and provides direction on the strategy to staff and ensures high quality work/outputs
- Develop total cost of ownership analysis for technology initiatives and recommend technology investments to the Directors of Corporate Services and management of both Centres
- Develop the ICT Strategy, workplan and policies and guidelines of both Centres, and their ICT Business Continuity Plan, to ensure that ICT serves their core mission as a strategic differentiator and a transforming and enabling resource for the organization
- Advance business management practices to transform IT service delivery
- Responsible for leading the development of an ICT governance framework (reporting to a Steering Committee) that defines the working relationships and sharing of ICT components among various ICT stakeholders within the organizations
- Build relationships within the other CGIAR Centres to take advantage of shared ICT services and leverage on innovations made at the CGIAR System Organization level or by other Centres
- Operational/Technical and Departmental Leadership
- Ensure smooth operation of the ICT Shared Services assuring an environment that enables researchers, management and supporting staff to carry out their work effectively in their various locations
- Formulates systems to monitor and evaluate outputs and creates a results-oriented environment
- Build relationships throughout the two organisations for comprehensive understanding of the business strategies and project requirements for provision of effective services for their needs
- Review and recommend for approval, software and solution requests to assure compatibility with the technical environment and security and accessibility requirements of both Centres
- Establish and maintain relationships with external service providers and suppliers and other local and international organisations to better understand the ICT environment that we work in and to build partnerships with these groups to enhance the services offered.
- Oversee project management of continuing implementation of ERP modules and business process integration at ILRI and ICRAF
- Responsible for people management, staff development, coaching and mentoring
- Responsible for unit processes and ensuring full and transparent cost recovery of ICT expenditure and developing and monitoring annual operating budgets of USD 5M
- Develop investment plans for ICT projects and for both replacement and new equipment, platforms and systems
- Plan and oversee technology replacement plans for business units and end users
- Plans for change and implements organization-wide change programmes
- Be aware of risks facing the Centres and balances between risk and opportunity
- IT Security and Risk Management
- Provide leadership, direction and guidance in assessing and evaluating information and data security risks
- Develop, implement and administer ICT security standards as well as services and tools to address and mitigate ICT security risks
- Monitor compliance with ICT security standards and appropriate policies.
Academic And Professional Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Technology Management
- Master’s degree in a related field or in Business Administration an advantage.
- Demonstrated depth of experience with IT strategic planning, budgeting, and people management by delivering efficient and effective digital leadership and delivering technology solutions within a global/international organizational setting. Academic or research context an advantage
Experience And Competencies
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible experience in an ICT service environment, application support, or process improvement initiatives
- Experience in leading multiple, medium to large cross-functional teams or projects, influencing senior level management and key stakeholders
- Practical experience in organizational leadership and change management and the ability to manage upwards and downwards in organizational transformation
- Ability to communicate with a diverse group of stakeholders and influence change through relationship and referential power
- Familiarity with implementing modern information systems from a business perspective, through internal or external technology partners
- Experience in project managing the strategic implementation and adaptation of ERP Systems
- Ability to lead the organizations in formulating projects that challenge traditional thinking
- Ability to multitask in dealing with several different problems at a time.
- Demonstrated ability to interact/work with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs
- Ability to set performance standards and develop staff through coaching and mentoring
- A strong and proven customer service orientation
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally, as necessary
- Experience in working in a donor-funded, International Organization and knowledge of the CGIAR is an advantage
- Experience of Unit4 Business World (Agresso) an advantage
Benefits: ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes 15% Pension, Medical insurance, Life insurance and allowances for: Education, Housing, Relocation, Home leave, Annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
How to apply:
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab above screening of applications will start on 12 November 2018 and continue until the position is filled. The position title and reference number GHS/11/2018 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) career website on ilri.simplicant.com to apply
- EXPLORE MORE:
Share this post with your Friends:
See more Post about: