International Alert Job Vacancy 2018 for Project Manager, Application Details
Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for International Alert Job Vacancy 2018 Interested applicant(s) ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
International Alert Job Vacancy 2018
International Alert works with people directly affected by conflict to build lasting peace. Together, we believe peace is within our power.
We focus on solving the root causes of conflict, bringing together people from across divides. From the grassroots to policy level, we come together to build everyday peace.
Peace is just as much about communities living together, side by side, and resolving their differences without resorting to violence as it is about people signing a treaty or laying down their arms. That is why we believe that we all have a role to play in building a more peaceful future.
Reports to Regional Director Africa
Direct Management Responsibility Project Officer
Contract Duration 2 years (subject to funding)
The Project Manager will lead the implementation of the forthcoming $1.8 million project – ‘Enabling Good Governance in Kenya’s Oil Sector’. The Project Manager will manage and oversee the implementation of project activities against the workplan, budget and M&E plan. They will represent International Alert within Kenya and build relationships across a wide cross-section of stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Project Implementation and Management
- Lead the planning and management of the ‘Enabling Good Governance in Kenya’s Oil Sector’ project and oversee the coordination and implementation of activities.
- Engage with project participants and partner organisations periodically to ensure that activities meet participants’ needs, project objectivities and the key activities are taking place as planned.
- Engage with key government and non-government interlocutors, including donors, companies and peacebuilding agencies, throughout the project activities
- Lead the coordination and oversight of research activities and contribute to reflections on project activities
- Staff, Consultant and Office Management
- Line manage, support and undertake performance management of the Project Officer, including work planning
- Take the lead in the management of external consultants, draft TORs, monitor progress of deliverables and provide feedback as necessary, and ensure that the work of the consultants is consistent with the overall project implementation plan
- Take on the role of ‘acting Head of Office’ – overseeing management of Alert’s Nairobi office
- Budget Management and Donor Liaison
- Manage and monitor budget in the administration of financial tasks relating to project implementation, including preparation of money transfers, cash requests, processing of invoices and donor financial reporting
- Create and maintain a project filing system, on-line and hard copy (when appropriate)
- Ensure the effective recording, documentation, and filing of project activities, M&E data, internal and external project meetings
- Lead on coordination and logistics for workshops and field visits with assistance from project officers
- Manage the relationship with the donors on any project amendment and/or extension
- Project Monitoring and Evaluation
- Oversee the development of a monitoring and evaluation plan for the project and design M&E tools as appropriate.
- Coordinate the collection of relevant information from partners and staff to feed into the monitoring and evaluation of the project and work on drafting as well as finalizing
- donor reports and project completion reports, including financial reports, in coordination with the Programme Development and Assessment Manager
- Contribute and develop ideas for new projects, building upon the impact achieved by existing projects.
- Ensure that all project staff are following M&E guidelines, process and using the M&E tools designed for this project.
- Monitor project progress and impact and adjust indicators and activities accordingly.
- Oversee project monitoring, evaluations, ensuring appropriate management responses if necessary.
- Disseminate findings of evaluations and ongoing monitoring and any lessons learned internally and externally.
- Support Alert communications and programme development in Kenya
- Collaborate with project staff and London-based colleagues to develop innovative project ideas and help to translate these ideas into coherent project proposals;
- Work with the Programme Development and Assessment Manager to devise an effective fundraising strategy for life beyond the project and liaise with key donors as appropriate to identify opportunities for expansion.
- Fit project and Alert’s work in Kenya into the communications strategy and lead production of key communications outputs and the dissemination of project information and materials
- Represent Alert and present the main findings of its work to relevant stakeholders (NGOs, donors, conferences, etc.)
- Contribute to Alert’s organisational processes and strategies
- Contribute to team-wide communications and knowledge management, and participate in organisation-wide events and discussions on related topics/projects
- Any other tasks as may be reasonably required
Based in Nairobi at International Alert Kenya/Somalia, with frequent travel within Kenya, particularly Turkana, and occasional travel to London
At Alert, we have introduced Talent Management to our business model as we believe talented people are crucial to the success of our work. We believe all individuals are talented and success comes in matching the right talents to the right roles. For this role, the skills, qualifications and experience listed below are important, but we believe that to be great in this job you are likely, first and foremost, to have a talent for effective project management, coordinating staff and partners to deliver impact. You also need to be entrepreneurial and proactive in finding practical solutions in a challenging and changing environment; well organised and with a good attention for detail you will be able to lead a team to operate efficiently and at improved professional standards.
This is what we will be looking for above all else.
- Master’s degree in relevant subject
- At least 7 years’ experience in NGO project management, including responsibility for project planning, staffing, admin/finance issues, contract management and donor & partner relationship management
- Experience of implementing governance or peacebuilding programmes in Kenya
- Experience of financial management gained in an INGO
- Experience of managing community-based programming
- Strong and inspiring facilitation skills; participatory planning and leadership
- Experience of partnership management and development
- Capacity to interpret trends, risks and events impacting on the programme and make plans to mitigate them
- An ability to make good judgement calls on complex issues and decisions
- Strong report-writing and editing skills
- Understanding of governance and peacebuilding issues relating to the development of the oil industry in Kenya
- Understanding of private sector development
- Experience of working in consortium projects
- Solid experience of grant financial management with USAID projects (highly desirable)
- Understanding and familiarity with conflict-sensitive approaches to development
- Familiarity with gender and development concepts, and experience of implementing gender-sensitive programmes
- Experience of networking and advocacy on governance issues
SUMMARY TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Leave entitlement 36.5 days leave annually (comprising of annual leave and public holidays and closure of the office between Christmas and New Year).
- Notice period There will be an initial 3 month probationary period during which notice will be one month on either side. On successful completion of the probationary period notice will be 3 months.
- Working hours Full time staff are expected to work a standard 37 hour week, with some flexibility around start and finish times to be agreed with the line manager.
Nairobi, Kenya, with travel to Turkana
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to International Alert career website on internationalalertlive.peoplehr.net to apply
- EXPLORE MORE:
Share this post with your Friends:
See more Post about: