Heshima Kenya Job Vacancy 2018 for Science Teacher, Application Details
Heshima Kenya is a nonprofit organization based in Nairobi, Kenya dedicated to identifying, protecting and empowering unaccompanied refugee minors, especially adolescent girls, through our specialized shelter, education, and Child Protection and advocacy programs. The Girl’s Empowerment Project is comprised of a diverse group of participants from different countries of origin with varying educational, language, and literacy levels.
Using the Government of Kenya’s adult education curriculum, combined with a student centered teaching approach, it is expected that the Teacher will carry out program goals and objectives related to the classroom and GEP participants under the supervision of the Education Officer.
- Lead in developing secondary education curriculum tailored to suit adult education learners. Develop schemes of work and lesson plans in line with the education curriculum objectives and keeping up to date with changes and developments in the structure of the curriculum
- Facilitate learning by establishing a relationship with learners and by organization of learning resources and the classroom learning environment including creating displays to encourage a positive learning environment.
- Develop and foster appropriate skills and social abilities to enable the optimum development of learners, according to their ability and aptitude.
- Assess and record progress and prepare learners for examination.
- Link leaners knowledge to earlier learning and develop ways to encourage it further, and challenge and inspire learners to help them deepen their knowledge and understanding.
- Maintain discipline in class.
- If and when a learner fails to attend class without notification, take necessary action and report to the Education Officer for immediate follow up
- Provide feedback to the Education Officer on learners progress during meetings
- Identify and develop working relationships with external adult education programs and testing centers for HK participants who are pursuing Kenya Secondary Certification.
- Coordinate and monitor participants’ progress and attendance in said programs Complete enrollment and individual assessments for each GEP participant.
- Maintain standardized and unit testing and evaluation schedule in classroom providing updated scores and evaluations to the Education Officer on monthly basis.
- Assist in compiling and writing weekly and monthly notes on each participant enrolled addressing their progress and evaluations of participant’s participation
- Effectively meet post-primary targets while maintaining the highest of standards expected.
- Communicate immediately to the Education Officer any challenges that affect the quality of teaching in the classroom, or hinder meeting project goals and outcomes in order that solutions are created and implemented in a timely manner.
- Strive to develop individual relationships with each participant and ensure that they have access to one on one communication when needed.
- Maintain strict confidentiality with regard to each participant served in any and all Heshima Kenya’s Programs Attend staff meetings when requested and contribute feedback and ideas on how to strengthen programs.
- Organize and take part in GEP events, afternoon projects, field trip and any other activities that take place in the GEP.
- Support the GEP team with any other support if and when requested.
- First Degree in Education with major in the Science subjects,
- Diploma in special or adult education will be an added advantage.
- Fluent in English and Swahili
- Minimum of 2year experience in teaching multi-level classrooms in all the Science subjects. Experience on teaching and knowledge on adult education curriculum
- Some knowledge of refugee related issues in Kenya
- Well demonstrated skill in time management
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software and using internet
- Candidate must be flexible and able to work beyond class room times when necessary
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and with teams
- Must be highly organized, creative, detail oriented and work effectively under pressure with competing priorities
- Must be a Kenyan citizen and a holder of a national identification card.
How to Apply
Your application should be send to the address below indicating the position applied in the email subject by close of business Thursday 12th April 2018. It should include a cover letter & a detailed CV (as one document in PDF format and given your sir name) with your contact details, details of current and expected remuneration, names and contacts of three referees, one of which should be your current supervisor.
Please note that RefuSHE (Heshima Kenya) does not charge any fees for receiving or processing job applications.
RefuSHE (Heshima Kenya) is an equal opportunity employer. NB. All applications should only be send through the email provided.
Heshima Kenya/ RefuSHE P.O Box 63192 – 00619 Nairobi Kenya
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org OR hr2016@refuSHE.orgg
- EXPLORE MORE:
Share this post with your Friends: