Guinness Job Vacancy 2019 for Head of AiS & Sustainability, Application Details
Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for Guinness Job Vacancy 2019 Interested applicant(s) ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
Table of Contents
Guinness Job Vacancy 2019
East Africa Breweries Ltd is East Africa’s leading beverage business. We thrive on the development of great people and great brands. We have created a talented, diverse and passionate team of professionals running a superb and robust business with associate companies across the region, delivering the highest quality brands to consumers and long-term value to its investors.
The role is based in Nairobi with travel to various parts of the country on need basis. The role holder is a core member of the Corporate Relations team. The role holder partners very closely with the KBL Supply, Sales and Finance Leadership Teams.
In line with our business values and with our strategy of being ‘the most celebrated business in every market’, EABL has a deep and fundamental strategic commitment to making a sustainable and meaningful contribution to the socio-economic development of the societies in which it operates.
KBL has invested Kshs 15b towards the development of a state-of-the-art plant in Kisumu, with the aim of opening up Kisumu and surrounding counties at a socio-economic level through the creation of jobs, economic growth and creation of a strong value chain. Kisumu Brewery will operate in a unique space influenced by a number of different local governments who represent multiple complex issues, diverse socio-economic orientations, local politics and different cultures.
Lake/Western region has experienced a slowdown in development over the years. The new brewery, therefore, represents transformation, hope and bright prospects for the region: employment and business opportunities, development – commercial and agriculture, administrative and political gains. These conditions in turn also manifest in a highly sensitive environment in which the new brewery and its technical and commercial operations will operate in.
Deep stakeholder management has been key in the progression of the Kisumu brewery project more so in issues management and reputation enhancement. There is an evident need to strategically increase our engagement activities within Kisumu/Western Region. Issues resolution in form of regulation, commercial licensing support will remain core to the Kisumu plant operations.
Sustainability – Our sustainability and responsibility targets for 2020 focus on the areas that are most material to our business and that will contribute to long-term impact and success, delivering value for EABL, our stakeholders and communities.
The strategic pillars are – (1) Leadership in alcohol in society (2) Building Thriving Communities (3) Environment Impact. There is also the need to link our Sustainability agenda with the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
KBL being an agri based business that has operations in raw materials sourcing, brewing and distillery operations creates a huge value chain form the agriculture and manufacturing sectors. This leads to a complex stakeholder relationship from farmers, suppliers, and government.
Tax Policy – A key element of our public policy agenda is anchored on a tax policy that provides a Local Raw Material (LRM) incentive on sorghum, millet, and cassava. This incentive generates over GBP 80Min NSV annually (about 20% of KBL’s NSV).
Illicit trade – The western region of Kenya is a hotbed of consumption of illicit alcoholic products mainly traditional brews and contraband. There lies a huge potential to recruit from illicit products for both value and mainstream brands.
KBL has two breweries in Nairobi and Kisumu. The Nairobi KBL brewery is on a water-stressed area and has a capacity of 6m hectoliters. The new brewery in Kisumu was built at investment valued at GBP 117M and can produce 1m hectoliters. This new brewery brings in new complexities in public policy and community engagement. East African Maltings Limited is the agriculture sourcing arm of the business with complex stakeholders engaged in providing raw materials to the business.
A member of the KBL Extended Leadership Team, CR Leadership, and EAML Leadership teams
Regularly contributes to successful issue resolution and reputation management
- Develops clear, concise strategic plans that are managed through to completion
- Build great relationships both internally and externally
- Show pride in Diageo/EABL; act as a positive representative of the company and our reputation.
- Identify clear priorities and focus on them at all times
Purpose of Role
This is a role with both a reputational and commercial focus responsible for developing and managing EABL’s strategy, policies and programmes
The focus of this role is to:
Western Region support
- To develop and execute corporate relations strategies; ensure clear deliverables for the same
- Provide strategic direction and leadership in line with the business plan
- Strategic stakeholder relations – develop relationships with key members of staff, government officials, policy influencers and advocate with them, and work with them on relevant and emerging legislation that affects the business.
- Close liaison with technical and operations leads
- Coach, mentor, and develop teams to ensure good performance
- Partnership on employee engagement and issues with site HR Manager
- Serves as the business’ spokesperson especially in highly sensitive, complex or emergency situations
- Drives a strong public affairs agenda representing current and anticipated future needs of the business
- Ensures strategic alignment with the regional, Africa and global group corporate relations strategy
- Consults and recommends actions to improve organizational communication and in formulating policies that strengthen community relations
- Issue and crisis management
- Support commercial team on licencing with relevant govt bodies such as western/lake county governments and regulatory and security bodies
- Participates in the Brand Protection agenda in key partnership with commercial and legal teams
- Development and implementation of advocacy strategies + campaigns to boost the business’ public policy positions
- Develop and maintain relationships with policy advocacy and communications stakeholders
- Represent EABL on Industry and Development Partner Forums focusing on environment, water and ensure proper communication of our progress in reporting and via speaker opportunities
- Highlight and build awareness around the milestones being achieved in the site + supply chain
- Driving advocacy against illicit alcohol and creating a contestable space for our brands
- Drive strategy and support implementation programmes to ensure improved sustainability performance
- Create and implement communication strategies to publicise the company’s sustainability effort and promote broad awareness of sustainability initiatives, both internally and externally
- Support environment, water and agriculture strategy, policies and programmes at market level, taking a holistic SD approach, in order to gain the trust and respect of the business’ principal stakeholders and maximize value to the business
- Serve as the internal leader and “go to” expert for sustainability, monitoring emerging trends, programs and issues, and communicating and educating others on sustainability topics
- Support development and implementation of specific high-profile SD projects which demonstrate company leadership
- Support global and market compliance with global environmental and water/agric policies and standards.
- Help to develop and manage relationships with complementary key external stakeholders including IGOs, NGOs, Governments, banks and social entrepreneurs to help extend the remit and positive impact of our partnerships.
- Provide key role in connecting functions and BUs to an integrated SD strategy (focusing on water and raw materials) – through management of strategy, policies and communications – and stakeholder engagement (internal & external)
- Work with leaders to provide senior expertise and counsel on SD strategy, programme and policy to our business leaders.
- Collaborates with community stakeholders to increase and maintain the foundation’s visibility.
- Drive Community engagement activities and drive corporate reputation
- Identify public policy opportunities and threats of relevance to the business
- Responsible for oversight of EABL Foundation
- Provide recommendations and guide on the development of the Foundations strategy and projects
- Oversight of the EABL Foundation budget – management and allocation
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Business Degree and a post graduate qualification or equivalent experience in one or more than the following: Sustainability, Consulting, Communication, Public Affairs, Issues Management in a multinational, large organization or agency.
- MBA degree an added advantage
- Demonstrated leadership ability and strength in building relationships and managing programmes.
- Strong understanding of sustainable development issues (especially water and agriculture, and environment).
- Good understanding of the tax environment in East Africa.
- FMCG industry and related business issues such as reputation management
- 6 – 8 years’ experience in leading & managing corporate relations agenda
- Experience in managing the multi-stakeholder environment working with both internal and external stakeholders at different levels on the regional stage.
- 5 – 6 years’ experience in working on sensitive and complex policy agendas
- 5 – 6 years’ experience of working as part of a senior business leadership team would be an advantage
Barriers to Success in Role
Inability to manage complex, sensitive policy issues and interconnect strands of CR /Supply strategy
Inability to work and lead across cultures and remotely
- Inability to think/act strategically and creatively
- Requirement for extensive direction
- Inability to see the bigger picture and understand business goals
- Poor judgement and/or an unwillingness to take decisions
How to Apply
- EXPLORE MORE:
Share this post with your Friends:
See more Post about: