Educate! Job Recruitment 2018 for Youth Business Leader
Educate! is seeking enthusiastic and self-driven Youth Business Leader to be part of our inaugural Program Team in Kenya!The Youth Leader will be at the center of implementing strategies that ensure our impact is reached across a community unit in Kenya.Position OverviewEducate! is a high-growth, award-winning education social enterprise.Educate!s top priority as an organization is scaling in Uganda and expanding to new countries. In Uganda, we took a big leap in 2014 from 54 to 238 schools and over 80,000 students. In Rwanda, we are taking a different approach by working through government to support the national competence-based curriculum reform for entrepreneurship subject. In Kenya we are partnering with the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD) to pilot an impactful skills-based education model that seeks to improve youth livelihoods in Kenya.The right person for this opportunity is passionate about our mission of creating leaders and entrepreneurs in Africa, excited about working with youth, has an entrepreneurial spirit, and is committed to being part of a high performing team! About Educate! Educate! works to transform education in Africa to teach youth to solve poverty for themselves and their communities.Educate! provides youth with skills training in leadership, entrepreneurship and workforce readiness along with mentorship to start real businesses at school. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.In 2018, we’re working in 100 schools in Rwanda and more than 500 secondary schools in Uganda reaching over 120,000 students. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.In 2012 Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda’s entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015 we began serving as a technical advisor to Rwanda on their national curriculum reform.Educate!’s team includes 100 staff and over 140 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution.Performance ObjectivesAdministrative Support (35%)
- Responsible for providing logistical support for events, meetings, training, and induction in the Community Unit.
- Responsible for keeping the contact list for graduates in the Community Unit up to date.
Mentor Fellow Recruitment (15%)
- Run selection of mentors during an annual 5 day short course training and keep a steady pipeline of potential backup mentors.
- Ensure the CU is well resourced with mentors and graduates all the time.
Program Monitoring and Business Advisory to mentors and Scholar. (20%)
- Support the School Coordinator with coaching mentor fellows in the areas of student participation, school business clubs and group mentoring. Conduct on-sight visits to monitor fellow business or community initiatives. Follow up with graduates in community unit who had questions about community unit activities and programs.
Data management (30%):
- Monitor and record attendance during the lessons, club activities and other program related activities using Survey CTO.
- Compensation will be competitive for the social enterprise sector and commensurate with experience.
- Benefits include medical insurance.
- This position will be based in Kenya, with travel in different counties.
- Degree or Diploma in social sciences.
- Fresh graduate (and) who has been with Educate! as a mentor for a period of time.
- Proven ability to train, coach & advise young mentors
- Exemplifies Educate! Culture—only solves a problem once, always learning, flexible & open minded, giving youth experience drives everything you do, exceeds expectations in your work
- Event management skills: the ability to keep track of multiple activities, plan, and mobilize resources in a timely and efficient manner.
- Strong organizational, writing and communication skills
- A proactive, energetic approach to problem solving
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here
- Willingness and ability to travel to all parts of Kenya.
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 96% of our staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting many thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, with the goal to fill these positions ASAP.What Is Educate! About?We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First – The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning – When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share
- We Only Solve a Problem Once – We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible – We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations – We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.
- EXPLORE MORE:
Share this post with your Friends: