Danish Refugee Council Job Vacancy For Program Assistant NGO, Application Details
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in more than 35 countries around the world. DRC provides both humanitarian assistance and longer-term development support to respond to the needs of communities affected by acute crisis as well as those in protracted displacement situations.
DRC has been operating in Kenya since 2005, where we assist refugees and displacement-affected communities in Dadaab, Kakuma, Kalobeyei, Nairobi and Mombasa through protection and livelihoods activities to enhance their self-reliance and expand opportunities for a dignified life. With funding from the EU Trust Fund, DRC leads a consortium of 4 agencies implementing a cross-border EU-funded grant across Mandera, Kenya, Dollo Ado, Ethiopia and Gedo, Somalia.
Based in Nairobi with regular travel to field locations and reporting to the Head of Programme Management Unit the Project Assistant will be responsible for providing project and operational support to the BORESHA consortium, led by DRC. The selected candidate will be responsible for documentation, filing, recording minutes of meetings, organizing meetings/workshops, organizing field travel, and liaising with consortium agency field teams to ensure timely support to operational locations.
The Project Assistant will also help with the coordination of high level visits to the project, tracking partner reports by following up various actions, and disseminating information to PMU and consortium staff. The incumbent will work closely with PMU and consortium staff to exchange information and support project delivery.
Table of Contents
Programme Assistant Job Responsibilities
- Ensure timely and accurate execution of the day-to-day project requirements by ensuring project master work plans are followed, handling information requests and inquiries, advising visitors, scheduling meetings, and support on completing project documentation, among other related tasks
- Support the Head of PMU in coordinating activities including trainings, kick-off and program review meetings, field visits, and internally and externally organized workshops. This role will also include taking meeting notes for those meetings/workshops attended, preparation of materials for programmatic meetings, and compilation and distribution of meeting minutes and relevant information.
- Communicate with implementing partners as advised by the Head of PMU
- Organize and coordinate visits by donors, government authorities, country team members or headquarter staff
- Liaise regularly with staff in other departments, field offices, consultants, partners, and other external contacts to ensure effective information flow and timely actions
- Maintain an effective filing system to include key correspondence, organization/project reports, financial information and other relevant documents
- Responsible for day-to-day project correspondence, information sharing and filing, ensuring that appropriate follow-up actions are taken for on behalf of the Head of PMU.
- Maintain records and track the status of action points arising from Project Steering Committee, Technical Working Group and other BORESHA meetings.
- Ensure compliance with financial processes and financial records according to DRC and donor rules, regulations, policies and strategies
- Support project implementation processes as directed by the Head of PMU. With support from the M&E Coordinator, Finance
- Coordinator other PMU and consortium member staff, play a focal role in the project Inception Phase that involves ensuring work plans, budgets, office space, staffing etc. are in place for project start-up activities
- Collection, analysis and presentation of information for identification of areas for support and program formulation/ implementation
- Develop talking points, background, and briefing materials for meetings, publicity, and advocacy in collaboration with the communications staff of DRC and other consortium members.
- Ensure that all key program documentation is filed and easily accessible and retrievable
- Monitor and check project management reports for compliance with activities, expenditures and work plans
- With support from DRC Administrative Unit, make logistical arrangements for program staff and guests, flight bookings and accommodation
Qualifications for the Programme Assistant Job
- A University Degree in Social Sciences or any other related degree
- Minimum 2 years of relevant program and/or administrative experience is required
- Excellent knowledge of Project Management and Support is required
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages
- Ability to perform a variety of standard tasks related to programs management, including screening and collecting of project documentation, project data entering, preparation of revisions, filing, provision of information
- Flexible, with ability to work handle multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines
- Strong planning, organization and problem solving skills with ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team in a difficult work environment
- Excellent report writing skills in English
- Strong communication (written & spoken) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff from diverse cultures
- Previous experience working with an NGO is preferred
Commitments: DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework ). All DRC staff must be committed to the Red Cross Code of Conduct, as well as the Core Humanitarian Standards.
Location: Nairobi, with regular travel to remote field locations in Mandera County, Kenya, Dollow Region, Somalia, and Dollo Ado Region, Ethiopia.
Start of Contract: January 2018
Duration: 1 year, renewable (3 month probation)
Reports to: Head of Programme Management Unit, BORESHA consortium
This position is for qualified National staff the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for National staff.
Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply
- EXPLORE MORE:
Share this post with your Friends: