Danish Refugee Council Job Vacancy 2018 for Psychosocial Assistant
DRC has been operating in Kenya since 2005, where we assist refugees and displacement-affected communities in Dadaab, Kakuma, Kalobeyei, Nairobi and Mombasa through protection and livelihoods activities to enhance their self-reliance and expand opportunities for a dignified life. DRC provides both humanitarian assistance and longer-term development support to respond to the needs of communities affected by acute crisis as well as those in protracted displacement situations
ABOUT THE JOB
The purpose of this post is to provide day to day management and psychosocial support and related activities in Kalobeyei. In particular, the person is responsible for addressing mental health needs of SGBV survivors and Persons of Concern. In collaboration with the GBV Psychosocial Officer, S/he will be in charge of the provision of training and supervision of the GBV Para-Counselors, to respond to cases of GBV in the camp and ensure effective case management. S/he will work and liaise closely with the GBV Officer, GBV Assistant on documentation of program activities as per the donor requirements.
YOUR MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide comprehensive psychosocial counseling to SGBV survivors focused on the survivor centered case management approach.
- Provide assessment and counseling both at individual and group level as the situation demands.
- Ensure all work with SGBV survivors is confidential and that ethical practices are observed.
- Document client data accurately in the intake forms and ensure they are under lock and key.
- Ensure that the GBVIMS is accurately updated on a regular basis.
- Participate in the interpretation of the analyzed data on trends and work with GBV Team Leader to disseminate information to all relevant stakeholders.
- Participate in the development of the case management monitoring tools and systems and ensure that all staffs that are required to utilize it are trained on the correct way of handling the systems.
- Participate in the preparation of accurate reports for all Psycho-social related activities.
Coordination and Networking
- Maintain and strengthen existing networks through other service providers at the camp level, to ensure that survivors receive quality services and support both at the agency levels.
- Actively participate in scheduled meetings such as the Case Conferences and SGBV inter-agency meetings.
- Identify new networks to work with to ensure wholesome support to the clients.
- Work in close collaboration with the GBV officer and GBV assistants to ensure ongoing needs of at-risk groups, women and girls are being met in the prevention related activities.
- Strengthen existing referral systems and networks of psychosocial service providers
- In collaboration with other partners, design psychosocial interventions within the refugee community focusing on the psychosocial needs of adults, youth and children.
- Assist in development of referral networks between partners implementing GBV and implementation of referral pathways.
- Participate in conducting trainings for partners on relevant organizational development areas and support peer learning between DRC and other partner agencies.
Community Engagement and Outreach
- Conduct sensitization, dialogue and mediation sessions with the wider population about issues of trauma and SGBV.
- Facilitate formation of support groups for survivors of SGBV and other vulnerable groups.
- Identify and strengthen Community structures through engaging community leaders, camp management and other stakeholders to ensure that the survivors receive adequate support at the community level.
- Support the GBV officer and GBV assistants, in dissemination of relevant information during the Community SGBV prevention forums and meetings.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Assist in preparing daily, monthly, quarterly and annual reports, progress notes, and treatment plans on time
- Use appropriate data collection tools and submit assessments and reports in a timely and accurate manner
- Work closely with the refugee staff to ensure quality reporting
- Assist in the designing, planning, implementing and facilitating of external trainings for numerous target groups
- Ensure Core Humanitarian Standards are mainstreamed in the day to day project implementation
- Attend relevant training forums relevant to the job
- Assist with any other related activities as deemed necessary by the supervisor
Staff Management and Development
- Provide supervision to the Para counsellors and ensure effective provision of Psycho-social services.
- Conduct continuous performance/evaluation for the Para counsellors working under her/him.
- Engage in quality self-care through supervision, debriefings, and other shared sessions.
- Conduct regular formal and on-job training and mentorship to Para-Counsellors on areas related to Case Management, Counselling and other related topics to enhance professionalism.
- Conduct regular case conference meetings with the Para-counsellors both at individual and group levels.
- Organize for external capacity building forums on GBV Case Management and Therapeutic Counselling techniques.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Social Work or other Social Science related field.
- 2 years’ experience in providing psychosocial counseling in a refugee context
- Good team player; able to take direction and work collaboratively with others.
- Ability to communicate in a highly professional manner with clients, community members and professional partners.
- Able to complete required reporting and documentation within the set deadlines.
- Able to maintain the highest levels of confidentiality.
- Experience working in a refugee context is highly desirable
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
How to Apply
- EXPLORE MORE:
- HOT: How to Start a Blog and Make Money Online in Kenya in 2019 (Exclusive Guide)