Bechtel Corporation Job Vacancies 2018 for Structures Design Engineer
Requisition ID: 203440
Plans, coordinates and conducts independent work within a global business unit requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, application and adaptation of engineering techniques, procedures and criteria.
Devises new approaches to solving problems.
Broad working knowledge of precedents in the specialty area, the principles and practices of related technical areas and of coordinating work with other technical disciplines.
Structural engineering with experience in designing transportation structures such as bridges, underpasses and culverts with a working knowledge of geometric and geotechnical design of highways.
Knowledgeable of and performs standard discipline engineering/ management activities on projects on the Kenya Expressway project with minimal technical oversight.
Coordinates technical issues with other departments on projects including constructability requirements and reviews.
A. Supervision Received
- Performs most assignments independently with instructions as to the general results expected. Receives technical guidance from Supervisors on unusual or complex problems and supervisory approval on proposed project plans.
B. Supervision Exercised
- Oversees works to be performed by the design consultants (including: design production/ reviews, dashboard reporting, earned progress evaluation/ staffing levels, quality of design, co-ordination between disciplines and other entities)
- Independently contacts vendor’s representatives and project field personnel to gather or give information. Contacts client counterparts as directed.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Plans, schedules, conducts, and coordinates detailed phases of engineering work elements of the Kenya Expressway project. Performs work that involves conventional engineering practice but may include complex features such as resolving conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials and/or difficult coordination requirements.
2. Performs work potentially using Bechtel Standard Application Programs (BSAPs) and appropriate 2-D and 3-D computer aided design and computer aided engineering (CAD and CAE) tools.
3. Plans, coordinates or prepares equipment or work specifications, bid evaluations and award recommendations for equipment.
4. Coordinates engineering efforts in assigned areas between specialty and other engineering groups or disciplines, including with the client, suppliers, and contractors and between other groups.
5. When delegated, assumes a lead technical role over other engineers or project subgroups for completing specific tasks.
6. Reviews bid analyses and makes recommendation.
7. Prepares or assists in preparation of conceptual studies, designs, reports or proposals.
8. Performs or assists in the performance of problem analysis and original design.
9. Prepares and/or assists in the preparation of cost estimates, quantity take-offs, forecasts and trends/ change orders.
10. Reviews and checks Design Consultant submittals.
11. Participates in technical workshops and design review meetings with the Client, Design Contractor and Construction.
12. Supports the creation of a work environment that fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
13. Assists the Construction group with solving structural related issues throughout the course of the construction phase.
Thorough knowledge of discipline engineering techniques, the design of engineered systems, and engineering and design calculations.
Understands the application of Engineering Department Procedures, relevant Bechtel design guides. Broad knowledge of the application of engineering to plant constructability as applied to construction methods and materials.
Knowledge of current computer applications for engineering and design including appropriate knowledge of CAD (both 2-D and 3-D), CAE and relevant Bechtel Standard Computer Applications to perform the work.
Understanding of engineering planning and control methods including computerized methods.
Understanding of the roles played by other departments on projects including basic construction practices and the economics involved.
Understanding of industry or regulatory codes and standards and design criteria pertinent to structural engineering.
Skill in oral and written communication.
The above is normally acquired through:
- A recognized degree in an engineering or scientific discipline from an accredited college or university, OR
- A professional license in an appropriate engineering discipline from a recognized licensing board, OR
- Sufficient number of specialized courses in relevant general engineering or appropriate engineering disciplines to meet job requirements, AND
- Practical work experience in structural design engineering or relevant equivalent experience in allied types of engineering sufficient to demonstrate competence as a trained engineer.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
How to Apply
- EXPLORE MORE:
Share this post with your Friends: