African Population and Health Research Center Job Vacancy For Communications Officer NGO, Application Details
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a leading Africa-based, African-led, international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, and engaged in multidisciplinary, evidence-informed policy research. Our researchers are contributing to the body of evidence about the critical barriers preventing optimal population health and wellbeing among the most vulnerable of Africa’s urban poor: the six in ten people who live in the informal settlements, or slums, that crowd the continent’s urban centers.
As part of our strategy to improve the Center’s ability to engage in global and continental discussions about solutions to the challenges impeding Africa’s development, we are recruiting a Communications Officer to serve as an in-house Editor in Chief and ensure quality control in our written and multimedia content.
The right candidate is a nimble multitasker with a strong background in print and multimedia content development, a wide network of contacts in local and international media and exacting attention to detail. S/he will be able to calmly handle a complex workload, is responsive as well as proactive, and is comfortable providing mentoring and coaching to a highly trained and educated cohort of research professionals.
Duties for the Communications Officer Job
- Lead and/or oversee content editing for a variety of products across three programmatic divisions, including corporate products such as annual reports, newsletters and brochures
- Lead media outreach including implementation of media and social media strategy
- Supervise in-house training on public speaking and verbal presentations for research staff
- Oversee development of innovative multimedia products including infographics, short films and animations
Communications Officer Job Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing or a related field
- At least five years of post-qualification work experience in communications, writing and content creation, preferably at an international organization
- Excellent editing and writing skills as well as ability to translate complex scientific facts into accessible messages for general audiences
- Visual media skills including use of still and video camera; ability to develop video storyboards and basic editing to a professional standard
- Some knowledge of graphic design and desktop publishing, including Microsoft Publisher, and Adobe or Corel suites
- Experience in using social media channels and extending their reach
- Experience of creating and editing digital media and publishing across a variety of platforms including but not limited to Storify, Prezi, Slideshare and YouTube
- Familiarity with approaches for planning, executing, and monitoring social media strategies
- Excellent existing network of media contacts at sub-regional level
- Excellent verbal communication and ability to train and mentor
- Demonstrated willingness to work as part of a team
- Networking, interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills coupled with resourcefulness, initiative and maturity of judgment
- French language skills desirable
How to Apply
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply through our recruitment portal and should include: Portfolio of written work (no more than 5 samples, 3 of which must be published versions) to also include tracked change edits of a pre-publication piece of someone else’s writing;
Cover letter must include at least two paragraphs addressing (either pro/con) the following statement: Twitter is an important medium for African civil society institutions.
Please include one reference of someone who can speak directly to your ability to manage a complex and varied workload. Applications will be considered up to December 15, 2017. Cover letters should be addressed to: –
The Human Resources Officer African Population and Health Research Center P.O. Box 10787 – 00100 GPO Nairobi
For more information about APHRC visit www.aphrc.org
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of children
- EXPLORE MORE:
Share this post with your Friends: