African Development Bank Job Vacancy 2018 for Principal Agriculture Officer, Application Details
Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for African Development Bank Job Vacancy 2018. Interested applicant(s) ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
Table of Contents
African Development Bank Job Vacancy 2018
Established in 1963, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries).
The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative interventions that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In addition to providing finance, the Bank is Africa’s voice on global economic, financial and development issues, a role that has taken significant importance in light of increasing global integration and interconnection. In order to sharply focus on the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy TYS (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up. These include; energy, agriculture, industrialization, integration, and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Bank is seeking to build a senior management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex (RDVP) is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities. This will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT
Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex (RDVP), the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDIBD) Directorates, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General (DG) and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries. The Eastern Africa Regional Directorates provides overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s of ‘Light up and Power Africa,’ ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialize Africa,’ ‘Integrate Africa,’ ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.’
The position is situated within one of the Divisions in the Eastern Africa Regional Development and Business Delivery Office.
The Principal Agriculture Officer is responsible for the origination, processing, supervision and general portfolio management of agriculture, livestock and natural resource management sector projects. He/She is expected to provide specialist advice and inputs to the Bank Group’s operational activities through review of technical design and institutional arrangements for agricultural projects/programmes proposed for Bank’s funding and assessing their feasibility from the perspective of present and future impact In this role, the incumbent interacts closely with other staff members in the following complexes; the Agriculture, Human and Social Development (AHVP), Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization (PIVP); and Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth (PEVP). In particular, the incumbent will be required to engage closely with the Agriculture and Agro-Industry Department (AHAI) and Agriculture Finance and Rural Development Department (AHFR), which provide strategic guidance for the implementation of the Bank’s Feed Africa Strategy and flagship programs, namely: The Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation (TAAT) Program, the ENABLE Youth Flagship, the Post-Harvest Loss and Agro-Processing (PHAP) Flagship, the Transformation of African Savannah Initiative (TASI), the Special Crop Processing Zones, the Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) Flagship, the Blue Economy Flagship, Leadership 4 Agriculture (L4Ag) initiative and/or other Flagships. The Principal Officer will be directly involved in the project development cycle from identification of opportunities in line with the Feed Africa High 5 to approval by the Bank’s Boards of Directors.
Duties and responsibilities
Business Development and Project Origination:
In line with the Bank’s Feed Africa Strategy, Country Strategy Papers and Regional Integration Strategy Papers, the incumbent will:
- Provide support to the Regional Member Countries (RMC), and lead/support Bank teams to identify, prepare, appraise and implement agriculture and livestock, agribusiness, agro-industry sub-sector operations projects.
- Identify, develop and support the financing of agriculture projects, which meet the objectives of the Feed Africa Strategy.
- Review the various proposals and communication sent to the Bank by its partners, clients and take appropriate action, including issuing technical opinion on government submissions to the Bank, drafting of responses and/or reports / presentations and internal or external follow-up;
- Provide the required technical skills to design national and multinational projects that respond to the needs of the RMCs and regional economic communities based on their priorities and selectivity;
- Promote regional integration and donor coordination to promote complementarity in interventions in agriculture and rural development based on comparative advantages of different partners;
- Liaise with other development partners in order to identify opportunities for co-financing and other partnerships;
Technical Analysis, Project Design and Implementation:
- The Principal Agriculture Officer works across technical, geographic and institutional boundaries to support the delivery of development solutions for a diverse set of clients in the rural and urban space and in the public and private sectors in line with the Agricultural development, Agribusiness and Agro-Industry agenda of the African Development Bank Group. Using a value-chain approach, he/she will support:
- The implementation of this agenda in Regional Member Countries in the East Africa region, with specific focus on providing technical input for the design, and supervision of projects which:
– Promote value chain development, value addition and primary and secondary processing of crops and livestock;
– Catalyze private sector entry and growth in African agribusiness;
– Promote agri-Small and Medium Enterprise growth and the commercialization of agriculture, particularly addressing access to finance needs, and create farm to fork market linkages; Facilitate the development of agro-poles and agro-processing hubs;
– Support the development of an agribusiness enabling environment, and;
– Facilitate investments in hard infrastructure (including roads, markets and irrigation), soft infrastructure (human capital, i.e., trained potential employees, information and communication technology, etc.); enable policies and reforms, for transformation of African agriculture into viable, profitable businesses.
- Contribute to solving issues related to the agriculture sector development including advice to RMCs for promoting policies conducive to strong growth/development of the agriculture sector , including creation of an enabling environment for private sector investments in agribusiness;
- Work closely with agricultural sector experts in the headquarters (AHAI/AHFR) and private sector experts at the Bank to scale up investments in agribusiness and will design and coordinate the delivery of client solutions and all project management aspects of the deployment of such solutions.
- Contribute to the delivery of flagships as required to ensure delivery of the Feed Africa objectives;
- Support in collaboration with AHAI/AHFR, the development of projects for increased agricultural opportunities and agro-industrial development of the east Africa region;
- Carry out technical, economic and sector analysis that will guide and support both public and private sector investments in agriculture;
- Support wide-scale deployment of innovative farmer extension models; support effective private sector-led approaches to the provision of farmer extension services (farmer e-registration and input supplies).
- Design projects that are able to utilize public sector resources to leverage private sector capital for increased private investment in the agriculture sector, including creating off-take arrangements between smallholder farmers and private sector agribusiness;
10. Support the structuring of Public-Private Partnership (PPP) agribusiness projects, to catalyze private sector investment;
11. In relation to the Bank’s country and regional strategies, identify, prepare, appraise and supervise related agriculture and agro-industry sub-sector operations.
12. Assist Regional Member Countries to radically boost their agro industries as a platform for job creation, improved livelihood and broad-based economic growth and development;
13. Undertake analysis and sector studies to orient the Bank’s strategy of intervention in the area of agriculture and agro industry development for Africa;
14. Contribute with technical inputs to Bank Group’s operational activities relating agriculture and agro-industrial development, through the review of the technical design and institutional arrangements for agricultural programmes proposed for Bank’s funding;
15. Set up and maintain strategic collaboration with relevant partners in the area of agriculture, livestock and agribusiness/agro-industry;
- Mentor new staff (junior) in the areas mentioned above;
17. Undertake any other assignments as may be assigned by the Division Manager and/or senior management.
- Manage an array of projects within the portfolio of the Bank’s investments in the assigned area of responsibility.
- Provide effective periodic reports to Management on the disposition of the portfolio under management.
- Identify synergies and propose interventions that promote the sustained feasibility of the projects under management.
- Ensure the follow-up of recommendations emanating from supervision, mid-term reviews, portfolio reviews and accounts audit missions on projects/programmes, paying the necessary attention to project monitoring and evaluation
- Review bidding documents, bid evaluation reports, quarterly progress reports, request for extension of contracts or LDD (Last Disbursement Date);
- Collaborate with other Banks’ Units in reviewing the operations performance, preparing completion reports, etc., so as to ensure that the lessons drawn from the implementation of past operations are taken into account in new projects.
- Provide technical, and policy advice to management and professional staff of the Bank’s member countries during the implementation of the project, particularly in the area of procurement, and general management of projects;
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
The complexity of this position demands that the incumbent possess the following:
Education and Computer Proficiency:
At least a Master’s degree in Agricultural Economics, Agronomy, Rural Development, Agriculture, Natural Resources Management, Agricultural Finance, Development Finance, or related Social Sciences disciplines;
- A minimum of six (6) years of extensive progressive experience in an internationally recognized Financial or development Institution or a private agribusiness company.
- Knowledge of agriculture and agribusiness concepts and challenges facing the African continent;
- Capacity to analyze trends, constraints, policies, institutions and provide technical support to related agribusiness and agro-industries sectors;
- Ability to design appropriated agriculture, livestock related and natural resource management programs for solving issues in the sector;
- Ability to identify the appropriate methods and techniques to conduct economic studies and present the results;
- Extended and relevant experience in project formulation and technical backstopping;
- Ability to work in a team and work in a multicultural environment;
- Ability to work effectively in partnership with client contacts and seek feedback to improve work processes;
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competences in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
- Ability to work effectively with other technical and management professionals of diverse occupational and ability to work under pressure, prioritize work, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously and coordination of work programs and resources and lead teams.
- Ability to undertake sound analysis (skills and methods), in order to conceptualize future work or organizational changes and develop strategies for change which includes strategic mindset and capacity to translate strategic thinking into a compelling plan of action of a large international institution. Proven exposure to the Bank’s operations and mission with a sound understanding of the Bank’s overall strategy.
- Ability to work in partnership with a broad range of client contacts and demonstrate commitment to results that are in the client’s best interest ; ability to build partnerships with a broad range of clients and deliver results that meet the needs and long term interests of clients within and outside the institution.
- Ability to build and lead a motivated and committed team and utilize talent and expertise of team members in a productive way as well as evidence of ability to build and lead motivated and committed teams across functional boundaries. Demonstrated ability to ensure the timely accomplishment of tasks in the Department by giving valuable advices and providing constructive feedback Ability to develop a successful leadership style to establish and achieve exceptional organization performance and the ability to handle multiple responsibilities in a fast paced environment; Strong managerial skills, including interpersonal communication and client-orientation ;
Communication and interpersonal skills:
- Strong interpersonal skills. Capacity to influence and inspire confidence; Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French with a good working knowledge of the other language; ability to speak with confidence and conviction, build and present a rational case to win support for ideas; ability to develop effective relationships inside and outside the institution, promote collaboration and deal constructively with conflict and disagreement.
How to Apply
- EXPLORE MORE:
Share this post with your Friends: