USIU Job Vacancies for Laboratory Technologist, Application Details
Reporting to the Dean, School of Pharmacy & Health Sciences, the successful candidate in each of the following fields will be expected to support teaching and research activities in the laboratory and engage in service to community, hospitals and industry:
Pharmaceutics & Pharmacy Practice
Parataxonomist (Botanical or Biological Sciences)
Laboratory Technologist Job Responsibilities
- Performing tests and laboratory procedures such as preparing samples, specimen and doing manual tests that are based on detailed instructions and protocol.
- Planning, documenting, setting up, undertaking (and guiding students on) controlled experiments and trials.
- Maintaining laboratory use records, with reports as and when needed
- Providing Semester and Annual inventories reports
- Preparing laboratory test samples and specimen for examination by faculty and students
- Discussing results and findings of laboratory tests and procedures with faculty and students
- Operating and maintaining sophisticated instruments and apparatus; and computerized instruments capable of performing a number of tests at the same time.
- Setting up, calibrating, maintaining, operating and shutting down laboratory instruments.
- Preparing equipment maintenance schedules and ensuring timely and satisfactory maintenance
- Maintaining competence in a Laboratory Information System that is crucial to the quality operations of the laboratory.
- Maintenance of material safety data sheets for all department chemicals and products.
- Actively participating in Quality Improvement Programs essential to ensure that laboratory testing is accurate, timely and meets customer needs.
- Training and orientating new Laboratory Technologists in the performance and interpretation of tests.
- Engaging in service to the University, the Profession and to the Community.
- Adhering to the USIU-Africa Laboratory Safety and Operational Guidelines
- Performing any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Additional responsibilities for Parataxonomist:
- Ensuring botanical naming of all trees within the USIU compound
- Custody, care, maintenance and appropriate utilization of the School’s Botanical Garden
- Preservation and propagation of selected medicinal plants within the Botanical Garden
- Setting up, operating and maintaining operational Herbarium and Parasitology /Vectors Museum within the SPHS.
Qualifications for the Laboratory Technologist Job
- Higher National Diploma in the relevant study field from an accredited University (Degree holders are preferred)
- Relevant experience of three (3) years post-qualification in a Research Institution or at a university is mandatory.
- Registration with relevant Regulatory Board.
- Evidence of support given to students during their research projects.
- Personal Attributes and Competencies
- Shown merit and ability as reflected in work performance and results.
- Confidentiality and integrity;
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills;
- Relationship builder & effective negotiator;
- Good communication skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Adaptability and reliability
- Incumbents will be expected to continue upgrading their knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to keep abreast of regulation/policy changes and trends in higher education.
How to Apply
If you have the requisite qualifications and experience and want to work as a team member in a modern and progressive institution where you can make a difference, please apply.
Interested applicants must provide a cover letter and a current CV, certified copies of educational certificates and transcripts, names and addresses of three referees, current salary and benefits, telephone and e-mail contacts to the following address by Friday, December 22, 2017.
Director of Administration United States International University – Africa P.O. Box 14634-00800, Nairobi, Kenya Email: email@example.com www.usiu.ac.ke/jobs USIU-Africa is an equal opportunity employer.
USIU-Africa has neither appointed any agent(s) to recruit, nor collects any charges/fees on its behalf, for any vacancies it has announced. All University communication to potential candidates is specifically through the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kindly indicate on the subject line (in case of email), whichever position one has applied for