Pwani University Job Vacancies 2018 for Secretary/Legal Officer
Pwani University a Premier University at the Coast situated in the beautiful scenic tourist resort town of Kilifi is an equal opportunity employer. The University’s Mission is to generate, disseminate and apply knowledge while sustaining excellence in teaching, learning and research by molding students to international standards, encouraging and supporting members of staff to undertake research and to providing quality services to our customers.
- Appointment to this position is either on permanent and pensionable terms or on a three (3) year renewable performance based contract, depending on age, citizenship or any other reason.
- Applicants must have Bachelor’s Degree in law, or any other equivalent qualifications from a recognized University.
- Applicants with a Masters Degree in Law or Business Administrating will be an added advantage.
- Applicants should obtain clearance from the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB), Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC), Kenya Revenue Authority, Credit Reference Bureau (CRB) and a valid certificate of Good Conduct from the Kenya National Police Service.
- Have high ethical standards, integrity, accountability and professionalism and good stewardship and comply with the requirements of Chapter six of the Kenya Constitution
- The Applicant must have at least eight (8) years cumulative relevant working experience (post qualification experience) with at least three
- (3) years experience as a practicing Company Secretary ( or equivalent position) in a law firm or other corporate body.
- Be an Advocate of the High Court.
- Be a Certified Public Secretary and should be a member of ICPSK with a valid practicing license
- Have proven knowledge of corporate regulatory and company laws , rules and norms
Skills and knowledge
Interested applicants should
- Be Computer literate
- Good Interpersonal
- Good communication (spoken) and written
- Leadership and Managerial skills
- Organizational and time management skills with the ability to multitask
- Be self-driven and flexible
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good teamwork, analytical and problem-solving skills.
In addition the applicants should show
- Active involvement in International/Continental/Regional /National/ Local/Community activities
The officer will perform the following duties and responsibilities
- Promote good governance by working with the Council (and its committees/boards) and the Vice-Chancellor to establish and implement good governance practices.
- Assistance/Support the Vice-Chancellor by Providing high level legal advice to the Vice-Chancellor
- Assistance/Support the Chair of Senate by providing high level governance and legal advice to the Senate Board
- Advice to Council and Council Committees and Boards by ensuring that members of Council (and its committees/boards) are provided with the information necessary for them to fulfill their responsibilities
- Management of Council meetings, agendas and minutes by ensuring timely distribution of notices and agendas of meetings of the Council, ensures that the agenda papers are prepared and forwarded to members of Council (and its committees/boards) in accordance with the Council’s Standing Orders, and ensuring timely preparation, confirmation, distribution to members and filing of Minutes of meetings of the Council (and its committees/boards).
- Coordinate the Induction Program for new members of Council (and its committees/boards)
- In consultation with the Vice-Chancellor coordinate the conduct of Workshops and professional development activities for members of Council (and its committees/boards)
- Maintain a register of conflicts of interests of members of Council (and its committees) and advise the Chair of Council and Vice Chancellor in respect of any real or potential conflict of interests arising for members of Council (and its committees)
- Works closely with the Chancellor and Vice-Chancellor to maintain strong and productive relationships between Council and the senior management of the University.
- Act as the main point of contact together with Vice-Chancellor for members of Council (and its committees/boards), including for members wishing to obtain information direct from officers of the University.
- Provides guidance to the Council (and its committees/boards) on their responsibilities under the law (including obtaining legal advice as required), the Standing Orders and the Rules of the University to which they are subject and how these should be discharged
- Has oversight responsibility for the provision of legal services, including assisting in the protection of the
- University’s reputation (including responding to legal challenges) in consultation with the University Lawyer.
- Oversees the effective discharge of the University’s statutory and legislative obligations by providing advice on obligations and compliance in relation to the provider registration and other such requirements
- Ensure the smooth operation of Council committees/boards by providing secretariat support to committees/boards of the Council.
- Maintains custody of and controls over the use of the Common Seal. Maintains a record of the use of the Common Seal and provides reports to Council.
- Makes budget submissions to the Vice-Chancellor to secure adequate resources for the performance of the Council’s (and its committees/boards) and the Secretariat’s responsibilities
- Will responsible for maintaining Council delegations.
- Will be responsible for publishing, maintaining and managing amendments to the University Statutes (or Regulations), By-Laws and Rules
Terms Of Service
Benefits for the above position include a competitive basic salary, house allowance, medical cover for staff and dependants, life Insurance, opportunities for further development and training and other regular allowances.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send four (4) copies of their application for the position. Applications and recommendations letters from referees should be addressed to
The Vice Chancellor Pwani University P. O Box 195-80108, Kilifi
Applications should include an up to date CV, giving details of applicants age, marital status, academic and professional qualifications, work experience, present post and salary, email address, telephone, names and contacts of three referees who are knowledgeable about the competence of the applicant, copies of relevant certificates and testimonials.
Pwani University is an equal opportunity employer, female candidates and persons living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Persons living with Disabilities should attach a copy of their National Council for Persons with Disabilities (NCPWD) registration Card.
Applicants with foreign qualifications must submit a Certificate of Recognition from the Commission for University Education.
The deadline for submitting applications is Tuesday 27th February 2018. Applications received later than this date will not be considered
If you Have Any Question or Need More Information Regarding Pwani University Job Vacancies 2018 for Secretary/Legal Officer, Kindly Make Use The Comment Box Below To Commumicate Your Feelings.