Arifu Job Vacancies 2018 for Director Of Business Development
Arifu, a high-growth edtech company in Nairobi, is looking to hire an ambitious and entrepreneurial Director of Business Development to fuel the growth of our platform and content design services with multinational partners across Africa and globally. This is a full-time position with equity participation based at Arifu’s headquarters in Nairobi.
Arifu is a Nairobi-based edtech company making it possible for anyone to access the information and opportunities they need from the organizations they trust over any mobile phone. With Arifu, people seeking to learn can freely access the Arifu chatbot using interactive SMS or smartphone chat apps to master new skills, discover a world of free educational content, and earn rewards from our partners whether or not they have internet or airtime. The Arifu chatbot delivers personalized content designed in-house in close collaboration with our partners including financial service providers, mobile operators, agribusinesses and NGOs. Our partners use Arifu to engage, train, and capture data on underserved people across their value chains, especially hard-to-reach customers, retailers, and suppliers. Currently serving 600,000 learners in East Africa, Arifu has demonstrated results increasing people’s income and access to impactful products and services while creating shared value for partners.
As the Director of Business Development, you are a critical part of the leadership team reporting directly to the CEO with responsibility for:
- Generating and refining sector growth strategies across key verticals including financial services, agriculture, health, consumer goods, energy, telecommunications, and humanitarian / development;
- Building, managing, and training a salesforce to acquire new clients and design high-impact service contracts that impact millions of lives while generating the financial resources necessary to scale operations;
- Collaborating closely with leadership to develop a market expansion strategy taking Arifu into new countries within East Africa and then across key countries in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America;
- Managing the sales pipeline and related communications to move partners from lead generation through to deal closing;
- Participating in industry events to expand the company’s network, influence, and brand awareness;
- Overseeing and contributing to the production of client proposals, grant applications, and investor briefs;
- Leading market research efforts to inform and prioritize new product feature development, competitive positioning, new partnerships, upselling opportunities, and team needs;
- Producing financial models that deepen our understanding of the evolving unit economics of our business and optimize pricing across existing and new product lines such as advanced data products and content licensing;
- Identifying new B2B and B2C revenue streams and assess their relative potential to drive growth;
- Advancing internal process automation that reduces CAC while producing stronger analytics for measuring business development team performance;
- Developing and maintaining healthy long term relationships with clients, donors, strategic partners, and investors;
To deliver successfully on the above responsibilities, you bring to the table:
- 7+ years of professional experience with at least 3 years in institutional / B2B sales;
- Demonstrated experience managing a team to achieve sales targets or client deliverables;
- MBA or domain-relevant master’s degree;
- Ability to live and work in Nairobi, Kenya;
- Strong analytical skills and ability to generate actionable recommendations from research and analysis;
- Strong financial modelling, analysis, and forecasting skills;
- Deep domain expertise in at least one of the following sectors: financial services, agriculture, consumer goods, telecommunications, health, energy, humanitarian;
- Ability to establish relationships and close deals with multinational executives;
- Persuasive verbal and written communication skills. Fluency in English required;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, resource-constrained, early stage work environment.
Compensation and Benefits:
We aspire to be competitive on compensation although, as an early-stage social enterprise, many on the team work just below market rate. To make up for that, staff are able to participate in the Arifu employee share program. We also offer a comprehensive health insurance package and will cover the cost of a work permit for foreign staff. Other benefits include monthly airtime allowance, extra leave, a stocked kitchen, and plenty of ping-pong and foosball.
How to Apply
Send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Business Development” in the subject and tell us what excites you about this role. If we see a good fit, we’ll get back to you to set up a first conversation.